Find the answer to your Linux question:
So this weekend I was given an old desktop that I figured I'd turn into a linux box running Fedora. This process is nothing new to me as I've done ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 18 Installation Hell...

So this weekend I was given an old desktop that I figured I'd turn into a linux box running Fedora. This process is nothing new to me as I've done it more times that I can count in the past. The issue that I'm having is that after I get the OS loaded from the LIVE Dvd the OS will not boot.

The System is a Gateway GM5091E (specs can be found here h t t p://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009065/1009065sp3.shtml). The first couple of installs I was trying the x84_64 distro of Fedora 18. The live disc loads up just fine and the installer finishes the process, but when it goes to boot GRUB I get just a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.

So I thought since EM64T chip set was an ass old 64bit processor that I'd trying the 32 bit installer and see what happens. The only problem is the 32bit LIVE cd loads up and I got through the installer process, but when I go to boot the system the first time GRUB never comes up (even though it has been installed to the hard disk in question).

Any ideas as to why it appears to be impossible to get Fedora 18 (and one attempt with Fedora 17) to support a system with an EM64T processor?

Thanks,

whit3fir3

Linux Engineer
    Hello,

I have seen this happen on a VM and also on older server hardware. Seems to be a problem with Grub2 needing a certain amount of video memory (or something), and it just crashes. For some reason, this issue only seems to be related to Fedora 18, not Fedora 17 or other distros that use grub2. Please check this: Fedora 18 won’t boot
    and see if that fixes your problem.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Hello,

I have seen this happen on a VM and also on older server hardware. Seems to be a problem with Grub2 needing a certain amount of video memory (or something), and it just crashes. For some reason, this issue only seems to be related to Fedora 18, not Fedora 17 or other distros that use grub2. Please check this: h t t p://funwithlinux.net/2013/02/fedora-18-wont-boot/
    and see if that fixes your problem.

Mizzle,

I have to thank you for your suggestion. It wasn't the problem I was having but it pointed me in the right direction to get the problem solved. The first F18 install I did I had selected automatic paritioning and then let it do it things. After that I never looked at the partition tables again until this morning when I discovered /boot to be a part of my LVM. I never would have gone in and looked at the partition tables if you hadn't sent me that link for the grub2 issue with Fedora 18 and me having tried Fedora 17 once the day before and getting the same result. So thank you again for your help. I owe ya one man.

Linux Engineer
    That is bizarre. I've chosen automatic partitioning on a number of different hosts with no problems. On the machine I'm on a the moment, /boot is a standard partition.

If you confirm this is indeed what happened, I suggest you filing or confirming (if any exists) a bug report with bugzilla. Anyway, glad I could help you.