Find the answer to your Linux question:
This IS a fedora question, though I will give background about Vista experiences as lead up. I am a total noob to Linux (though not completely stupid - I dislike ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Commercial VPN

This IS a fedora question, though I will give background about Vista experiences as lead up.

I am a total noob to Linux (though not completely stupid - I dislike windows after all

Background:
    The situation revolves around using a VPN, namely, Hide My Ass' (HMA) commercial product for which I have a 2-user licence. I have been completely unable to connect to their services for several months now.

I live in China right now (a teacher) and many of you will have heard of the Great Firewall of China. Many web sites are blocked. Hence, to have anything resembling "normal" Internet access requires a VPN. Hell, even google search is blocked more often than not!

The Chinese government is very methodical about blocking anything to do with VPN services, and I'd be very tempted to believe that my failure to connect is due to the IP addresses of their servers being blocked.

...Except my wife can get on. it can take a long time to find an "open" or accessible server, but she does get on. She also says she finds it easier to connect with just the PPTP; after all, we are not using this for security, but just to get "over the wall". Plus, some US sites actively block address from China, so...

My machine refused to connect using PPTP; some vague message about possible network settings which I did not understand. Most frequently, attempting an OpenVPN connect would tell me it failed because 127.0.0.1 actively refused the connection. Uh, isn't that MY computer? That makes no sense to me at all.

and so...

I decided to try Fedora. For a whole bunch of reasons, not just the VPN problem. I'm very proud to have gotten my movies to be playable, access to my NTFS-formatted drives, and so on.

...HMA have a script for connecting under linux, but it isn't working. It's behavior does not seem to be totally consistant either. I have attached the script for reference (with a .txt extension so I could upload it). As far as I can tell, curl and openvpn are installed (at least yum thinks so).

I have trouble finding a "valid" server, but when I do, I get a message about timing out, failing to connect within 60 seconds.

Like I said, I'm very new to this. I looked at the hma-vpn.sh content and saw the format for running the script. I've tried variations of the command line parameters but I don't really understand the behavior I'm seeing.

I'd also be completely happy with just a PPTP connection. It is mainly for access to things like Youtube, and the few sites that don't care for Chinese IP addresses. I'm not that concerned about securing the traffic, just enabling it in the first place will be fine.

Well, if some patient soul would like to try to help me, tell me what you need to see or know and I'll do my best to get the information. Did I mention I'm a noob? You'll probably need to lead me to where/how to get the information. I can open a terminal, become root, and do a few simple things. After that...

edit: More information - technical stuff...
    Code:
    Wed Mar  6 13:34:54 2013 OpenVPN 2.2.2 x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu [SSL] [LZO2] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [eurephia] built on Sep 26 2012
    Enter Auth Username:<redacted>
    Enter Auth Password:
    Wed Mar  6 13:35:12 2013 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
    Wed Mar  6 13:35:12 2013 Control Channel MTU parms [ L:1573 D:138 EF:38 EB:0 ET:0 EL:0 ]
    Wed Mar  6 13:35:12 2013 Data Channel MTU parms [ L:1573 D:1450 EF:41 EB:4 ET:32 EL:0 ]
    Wed Mar  6 13:35:12 2013 Local Options hash (VER=V4): 'f61b8fe4'
    Wed Mar  6 13:35:12 2013 Expected Remote Options hash (VER=V4): '56af8162'
    Wed Mar  6 13:35:12 2013 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
    Wed Mar  6 13:35:12 2013 UDPv4 link remote: 199.114.222.5:53
    Wed Mar  6 13:36:12 2013 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
    Wed Mar  6 13:36:12 2013 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
    Wed Mar  6 13:36:12 2013 TCP/UDP: Closing socket
    Wed Mar  6 13:36:12 2013 SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TeacherDan; 03-06-2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: additional Info

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try OpenVPN... We use it extensively. You can use the open source version (free), or the commercial one (free with 2 user licenses).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Try OpenVPN... We use it extensively. You can use the open source version (free), or the commercial one (free with 2 user licenses).
    I looked at the script, it looks like HMA is using OpenVPN under the covers (which is what I would have suggested, too).

Perhaps you need a bridge...

Just Joined!
    If there is anyone willing to take a shot at this, I'm still looking for help.

rubberman - yes, it is using OpenVPN both under windows and linux (Fedora in my case)

atreyu - perhaps, but that doesn't explain why my wife can connect to the VPN but I cannot. I suspect many of the VPN servers are in fact blocked, yet she can eventually find one she can connect to. I can try the exact same server with no joy. I still get timed out; not an indication that I'm blocked from accessing it, but I have no clue what the problem really is...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How are you starting openvpn? If you start it from the command line, please post the output here.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    How are you starting openvpn? If you start it from the command line, please post the output here.
    That information is in my OP.

If there is something specific you need, let me know, and tell me where to find it.

Wed Mar 6 13:36:12 2013 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
    Wed Mar 6 13:36:12 2013 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
    This can happen if you are behind a proxy firewall in which case openvpn needs to use the --http-proxy argument, and your script doesn't seem to support it. Have you tried using the openvpn command directly?