Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have an old server in my company's server room which was not been used (not attached to power cables, not powered on). Now, since the user's need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Setting Up Logical Volume Management

Hi,

I have an old server in my company's server room which was not been used (not attached to power cables, not powered on). Now, since the user's need to use it, I had to set it up.

However, when I power on the CPU, the OS loads, and then gets stuck at this line (The OS is Red Hat Linux) :

"Setting Up Logical Volume Management"

I have attached two images of what the output looks like.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux Engineer
    Did you press Y as the second picture suggested?

Linux Newbie
    No I did not. What does this do??

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by anaigini45 View Post
    No I did not. What does this do??
    What it does is explained in the image you uploaded, right after it says "1 seconds"

Just Joined!
    Here's what I normally do when a machine that's been sitting idle needs to be recommissioned. Open up the case, take note of what is plugged where, then one by one, remove and re-insert all slotted devices; don't forget the memory too. I normally wear a wrist strap to avoid potential damage due to static electricity.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then I suggest you take the PC to a local PC shop and have them service it for you. They may even go the extra mile and blow out all dust/dirt they find inside the case with compressed air!

Cheers,
    tk.

Linux Newbie
    I booted the server with a RHEL 5.5 dvd, with the hope of being able to view the cat /etc/fstab for any errors.
    However I do not know the option to choose to actually load this table.

The fun part is that after failing to get to this table, I just removed the DVD from the drive, and rebooted the server, and it worked!! However it takes a long time to load ( > 30 minutes).

Is this normal behaviour??? If not, what could be the cause for this, and how do I troubleshoot it??