Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Setting Up Logical Volume Management

Hi,

I have an old server in my company's server room which was not been used (not attached to power cables, not powered on). Now, since the user's need to use it, I had to set it up.

However, when I power on the CPU, the OS loads, and then gets stuck at this line (The OS is Red Hat Linux) :

"Setting Up Logical Volume Management"

I have attached two images of what the output looks like.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux Engineer
    Did you press Y as the second picture suggested?

No I did not. What does this do??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by anaigini45 View Post
    No I did not. What does this do??
    What it does is explained in the image you uploaded, right after it says "1 seconds"

Just Joined!
    Here's what I normally do when a machine that's been sitting idle needs to be recommissioned. Open up the case, take note of what is plugged where, then one by one, remove and re-insert all slotted devices; don't forget the memory too. I normally wear a wrist strap to avoid potential damage due to static electricity.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then I suggest you take the PC to a local PC shop and have them service it for you. They may even go the extra mile and blow out all dust/dirt they find inside the case with compressed air!

Cheers,
    tk.

I booted the server with a RHEL 5.5 dvd, with the hope of being able to view the cat /etc/fstab for any errors.
    However I do not know the option to choose to actually load this table.

The fun part is that after failing to get to this table, I just removed the DVD from the drive, and rebooted the server, and it worked!! However it takes a long time to load ( > 30 minutes).

Is this normal behaviour??? If not, what could be the cause for this, and how do I troubleshoot it??