Find the answer to your Linux question:
After updating to 3.8 kernel today, I am now getting a kernel panic when I run iwconfig. I am able to connect to wireless networks just fine, but when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Kernel Panic with iwconfig

After updating to 3.8 kernel today, I am now getting a kernel panic when I run iwconfig. I am able to connect to wireless networks just fine, but when I run that to check my connection speed, I get a kernel panic. If I boot in to an older kernel, it works fine. Also, regardless of what kernel I am booted in to, the Network Settings for wireless connections just show disconnected even if I am actively using them.

EDIT: I am using Fedora 18 64 bit

Trusted Penguin
    You should consider filing a bug report about that (or checking if Fedora has one for that in the first place, actually).

You could consider building it from source, to see if it behaves any better for you.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    You should consider filing a bug report about that (or checking if Fedora has one for that in the first place, actually).

You could consider building it from source, to see if it behaves any better for you.
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up being able to nail it down to the kmod-wl driver. I removed the driver and everything was fine with the open-source driver, so I opened up a bug report on rpmfusion's bugzilla. I appreciate the help.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up being able to nail it down to the kmod-wl driver. I removed the driver and everything was fine with the open-source driver, so I opened up a bug report on rpmfusion's bugzilla. I appreciate the help.
    Nice work, and thanks for posting your findings.

I'll go ahead and close out this thread.