Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have problem getting RAW files working with my laptop running CentOS 6.3 with desktop environment GNOME 2.28.2 Everytime I try different sources, it says some random libraries are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Get RAW files working with CentOS (new to GNU/Linux)

Hi, I have problem getting RAW files working with my laptop running CentOS 6.3 with desktop environment GNOME 2.28.2

Everytime I try different sources, it says some random libraries are missing (I have no idea about naming strategy they use for libraries so couldn't quite figure out what library it was when I was thrown with couple of names all together).

Can anyone please help me get RAW files (specifically CR2 (Canon format)) working with my computer?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are tools that will let you view these, but probably not the standard ones by default. This link may help point you in the right direction: RAW files in Ubuntu Linux - Canon Digital Photography Forums
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

I'll wager that GIMP will do it for you. It is an image view and editor, similar in look, feel, and scope, to Adobe Photoshop. It should be in your system software repositories already. Open terminal, su to root and try this:

Code:
    yum install gimp
    Once it is installed, you should have a shortcut in your application launcher, or you can run it from the command line (do it as a regular user, not root), e.g.:

Code:
    gimp

Quote Originally Posted by djbrar View Post
    Hi, I have problem getting RAW files working with my laptop running CentOS 6.3 with desktop environment GNOME 2.28.2

Everytime I try different sources, it says some random libraries are missing (I have no idea about naming strategy they use for libraries so couldn't quite figure out what library it was when I was thrown with couple of names all together).

Can anyone please help me get RAW files (specifically CR2 (Canon format)) working with my computer?
    I have been using raw files(cr2) in Fedora for several years from a Canon 20D. The Fedora repos have "Rawstudio, RawTherapee and UFRaw" Centos will probably have them available in their repos.

phil

EDIT: "dcraw" should be available for sure as it is the backend of the applications mentioned.
    Last edited by ryptyde; 03-08-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add dcraw info

Just Joined!
    Thank you everyone for your kind response!

I already have GIMP installed on my CentOS. The problem is that (I guess) it doesn't have UFraw plugin installed already. I tried "yum install ufraw" (Not to mention after "su -") but it says no package UFraw available. Then I tried "yum install dcraw", it successfully went through. Is DCraw same as UFraw? Even if it is same, I was unable to open RAW files in GIMP even after reastarting my machine (I think monolithic kernels require restarting, but again it is just something that I assume).

About other softwares: I tried downloading RawTherapee, and the stable version showed strange color-cast which was close to purple/red color mask on my photographs (all of them). I did try the unstable version assuming it would have support for Canon T4i/650D. Unfortunately I was unable to even execute the file sitting in the downloads folder. My knowledge of the operating system held me back.

Dual booting would be an easy alternative, but I wanted to know how to get things up and running in CentOS 6.3 even after the community keeps on changing the packages included within the OS/kernel (IDK).

Again I appreciate your response. If anyone can help me get this up and running, that would be lovely!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Just Joined!
    TRANSACTION ERROR:
    ufraw-0.18-2.el6.nux.x86_64 requires libcfitsio.so.0()(64bit)
    ufraw-0.18-2.el6.nux.x86_64 requires ufraw-common = 0.18-2.el6.nux
    ufraw-0.18-2.el6.nux.x86_64 requires gtkimageview >= 1.6.1
    ufraw-0.18-2.el6.nux.x86_64 requires libgtkimageview.so.0()(64bit)
    ufraw-0.18-2.el6.nux.x86_64 requires liblensfun.so.0()(64bit)

How are you trying to install the rpm, with the rpm command, or with yum? Using yum will deal with dependencies automatically (usually - assuming you have the necessary repositories/repo files installed).

Anyway, I will try it myself when I get a few spare seconds. We are having a house concert tomorrow night and I am in the middle of planning dinner for the band and cleaning the house!

Just Joined!
    I jut clicked on the link and autmatic package installer popped up. After clicking install it said Transaction Error!

Download it to your disc, and then run "yum --nogpgcheck install filename.rpm" from a command line as root or sudo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast