Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to install RHEL 6.3 without subscription. If red hat release new edition like 6.4, can I download and install it again? Do I need to reinstall all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL 6.3 without subscription

I am going to install RHEL 6.3 without subscription. If red hat release new edition like 6.4, can I download and install it again? Do I need to reinstall all my own codes which installed after RHEL 6.3?

As you already know, you dont want a subscription:
    Get and install Centos or Scientific Linux.

Both are free of charge, binary compatible RedHat clones, but without commercial support.
    You will also have no problem updating within major versions.
    Last edited by Irithori; 03-20-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typos
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    The problem is the company using RHEL 6.3, I like the same so I can work at home sometimes. Just wondering if RedHat do next main update, what can I do? Uninstall everything, then install next edition will be a lot of work since this will happen maybe next 2 year later.

Centos is a binary compatible redhat clone.
    It is safe to say, you will be able to follow up your redhat based tasks at home on a centos machine.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truelies View Post
    The problem is the company using RHEL 6.3, I like the same so I can work at home sometimes. Just wondering if RedHat do next main update, what can I do? Uninstall everything, then install next edition will be a lot of work since this will happen maybe next 2 year later.
    CentOS or Scientific Linux would be better alternatives to RHEL itself if you do not intend to pay for an RHEL subscription or support. CentOS is basically a clone minus the RedHat branding and Scientific Linux is also a clone but with some tweaks and extra packages. They will provide you with a similar environment to your company and you will receive upgrades without paying for a subscription.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I will try centos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk