Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently installed FC3 and I have a big problem with sound that I can't solve myself MP3 sound works fine with all the players (xmms, amarok, kaffeine, alsaplayer) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 3 : "multitasking" sound problem

I have recently installed FC3 and I have a big problem with sound that I can't solve myself MP3 sound works fine with all the players (xmms, amarok, kaffeine, alsaplayer) until I start any other application. Then it becomes fuzzy and delayed for a short while - that's really disturbing. The same thing happens when I refresh webpages in firefox or do anything else that consumes my CPU power. I've tried all the output plugins with xmms (alsa, oss, arts, ... ) - still no result Do i need to recompile the kernel? My hardware (duron 650, 384 mb ram, sound blaster 128pci) is quite old but in mandrake 10.0 and windows 2000 the sound is perfect. Thanks in advance for any help!

which window manager are you using? I suspect KDE or something bloated like that?

Linux Engineer
    try to refresh your ram by killing some processes that you don't need..
    Code:
    ps -elf
    and then
    Code:
    kill <process pid>
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    I use gnome and there's always more than 150 mb of free physical (not swap) memory so I think that the problem must be somewhere else... I updated my kernel yesterday to the version available from up2date and now the sound is a bit better but it still lags when starting apps like firefox