Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am after a little help/ guidance in the best way to approach my goal for this customization of Scientific Linux Fermi (SLF). What i am after is replacing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Custom Scientific Linux Fermi

Hi,
    I am after a little help/ guidance in the best way to approach my goal for this customization of Scientific Linux Fermi (SLF).

What i am after is replacing the core base of SLF which is Red Hat with Fedora but without changing the distro to Fedora. SLF did do this at one stage where they had a short-term support distribution (aka Fermi Linux STS) which used the Fedora base (10, 11, 12 & 13) but the distribution is obsolete and cannot be downloaded now (or at least not that i can find a working download link).

Why do this when i could just download Fedora? The answer to this is mainly because i can, i like SLF and i am wanting to experiment around with some of the inner workings of the RPM packaging system and not just take the boring route of just grabbing a Fedora install disc. The second reason is i would like to re-create Fermi Linux STS (for personal use only) as it seems like an interesting combo but using the more recent Fedora 18, 19 and possibly Rawhide. Most likely Rawhide as it can become a rolling-distribution and less maintenance.

I know this can be done using srpms but my issue is i am not sure of the best way to approach it. I will be using a VM so it only requires a VM snapshot and not a complete system re-install if i stuff up.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you asked this on the SL user/development forums/mail-lists? You can usually get feedback PDQ that way. Go here: Archives of SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL@LISTSERV.FNAL.GOV
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!