Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive been using fedora for a while now, it has become my #1 desktop, in the distros that ive tried, I started to game alot more, and make music and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stable, but capable flexible systems? suggestion?

Ive been using fedora for a while now, it has become my #1 desktop, in the distros that ive tried, I started to game alot more, and make music and all that, But also been having alot of workarounds, and unnessesary tweaking, and other issues, Im not to familiar with all the distros out there, But whats would be a good stable distro, similar to fedora 17-18, gaming, etcetc, But without theconstant updates? I have tried redhat, and it is the most stable system ive used yet , But I didnt find it to gamer friendly, setting things up n such, To me it was more of a professional needs system, networking and such, But any suggestions? Which is a stable, yet flexible os. and not ubuntu., I prefer mate desktop to.

Give Mageia a try, you might like it.
    Home of the Mageia project

Just Joined!
    kk thanks mate, im downloading it now, and ill give it a try,
    Just looking for a perfect OS, where it has all the cutting edge everyday things, similar to fedora, but with least ammount of updates or things to get in the way and bug everything up, similar to redhat. Ill let you know how I like mageia.

Is the commands and things to much diff cause i dont wanna be to lost lol? Im used to yum, etc
    Last edited by Chronicwilly; 03-26-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Hi, basically the same, just type urpmi instead of yum install, but Mageia includes a very good graphical package manager in case you feel lost.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    hmm, well I downloaded it, Was impressed with the installer etc.... Then went to hook my internet up, with much difficulties, had much errors with both wired and wireless, and also had issues deleting connections to retry my attempt, so I went back to fedora 17 KDE, cause in the past wine games ran flawlessly, and im currently having issues, that i have not had in the past, so Im going to try mageia again, I figured out my network issue was cause my wifi was set to hidden network, Cause I had same issue with fedora 17, So i only hope it will work with mageia now... I must say though, I might just go back to redhat, and start compiling things from scratch, cause it was only stable system I was happy with ..

In the meantime, any other suggestions? I was thinking about maybe trying gentoo, or something also.