Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have centos 5.9 and all my web pages seem to be working and I can access them from outside the network just fine and receive emails but not send ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

connection issue

I have centos 5.9 and all my web pages seem to be working and I can access them from outside the network just fine and receive emails but not send them. I have noticed that If I log into the local server and open a browser it will not connect and if I try to use Yum or wget they can not connect but yet its still serving up web pages and receiving email. Please help.

This setup has been working fine for over a year. I have linux firewall turned off as well.

also this is my eth1. I changed the ip address before posting it.

[root@srv ~]# ip addr show eth1

2: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:81:31:97:7d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 98.000.562.125/29 brd 98.000.562.125 scope global eth1
    inet6 fe80::2e0:81ff:fe31:977d/64 scope link
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

update: I am also unable to ping other servers from ssh but web pages are still being served. I figureed out that ipv6 was enabled so I have disabled it and rebooted but no difference.

new eth1 after removing ipv6

ip addr show eth1

2: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:81:31:97:7d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 98.000.562.125/29 brd 98.000.562.125 scope global eth1

ip tables are still off but I flushed them anyway and no difference.

iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    Last edited by mrwhitee; 03-26-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome!

how are you trying to access the web server on the local machine when you fire up the browser?

if you are using a public ip address, can you not use that same ip address (or DNS name) on the local machine? is it that internet access is not working on the machine? if not, do you have a default route and name servers defined?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    hello and welcome!

how are you trying to access the web server on the local machine when you fire up the browser?

if you are using a public ip address, can you not use that same ip address (or DNS name) on the local machine? is it that internet access is not working on the machine? if not, do you have a default route and name servers defined?
    I am using a static ip address. I have a block of 8 from att. It has worked fine for the last year. Yes, I try to fire up the browser on the local machine and it will not connect to the outside world. I could have sworn that it did before but not totally sure. I dont really care about that though its the yum and wget and ping commands and not being able to send email thats the problem. I just thought the browser was part of it problem too. Shouldnt I be able to at least ping google.com I am thinking something is wrong with the 2wire modem. Its a i38HG. When this first started my internet was down completely and after getting that fixed and resetting the modem and the NID I started having trouble enabling ports on the 2wire. Everytime I enabled port 53 my internet would go down and it would happen even if the server was unplugged from the 2wire. Finally, I enabled port 53 tcp only and it didnt go down so next I enabled port 53 udp and it all went down. I went nuts over this for hours and finally got it to take all the ports without it going down and everything seemed fine at first till I realized the yum wasnt working and then sending email and wget and ping were all not working. Tech support at ATT said it was impossible for the 2wire to be bad so I dont know at this point what to do next. Oh and if I put the modem in dmz mode it would go down too but I havent tried that again since I got it to take all the ports. I did figure out that if I let the router give the server a dynamic ip instead of the static that the ping command and the browser start working but ofcourse I need the static for my sites and dns.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwhitee View Post
    I am using a static ip address. I have a block of 8 from att. It has worked fine for the last year. Yes, I try to fire up the browser on the local machine and it will not connect to the outside world. I could have sworn that it did before but not totally sure. I dont really care about that though its the yum and wget and ping commands and not being able to send email thats the problem. I just thought the browser was part of it problem too. Shouldnt I be able to at least ping google.com I am thinking something is wrong with the 2wire modem. Its a i38HG. When this first started my internet was down completely and after getting that fixed and resetting the modem and the NID I started having trouble enabling ports on the 2wire. Everytime I enabled port 53 my internet would go down and it would happen even if the server was unplugged from the 2wire. Finally, I enabled port 53 tcp only and it didnt go down so next I enabled port 53 udp and it all went down. I went nuts over this for hours and finally got it to take all the ports without it going down and everything seemed fine at first till I realized the yum wasnt working and then sending email and wget and ping were all not working. Tech support at ATT said it was impossible for the 2wire to be bad so I dont know at this point what to do next. Oh and if I put the modem in dmz mode it would go down too but I havent tried that again since I got it to take all the ports. I did figure out that if I let the router give the server a dynamic ip instead of the static that the ping command and the browser start working but ofcourse I need the static for my sites and dns.
    finally fixed.

Would be nice if you would post the fix as it might help the next person searching the forums for answers.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    Would be nice if you would post the fix as it might help the next person searching the forums for answers.
    ATT fixed it by doing a port swap at the switch down the street. It was something to do with the card being too full so they moved it to a new card. We have ATT Uverse.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwhitee View Post
    ATT fixed it by doing a port swap at the switch down the street. It was something to do with the card being too full so they moved it to a new card. We have ATT Uverse.
    Glad you got it sorted.

My sister has ATT for internet, it's crap.

I'll go ahead and mark this one as Solved.