Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just bought an Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt motherboard and in the User Guide it says: "ASUS Motherboard SATA Mode Notice The SATA ports of this motherboard is configured to AHCI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    EdN
    Just Joined!

Using Fedora with Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt mobo

I just bought an Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt motherboard and in the User Guide it says:
    "ASUS Motherboard SATA Mode Notice
    The SATA ports of this motherboard is configured to AHCI mode by default to enhance the SATA performance.
    Operating Systems not running on Microsoft Windows will not support devices such as the optical disk drives. Please use compatible operation system for fully hardware support."
    I have no idea what this is all about, but does this only apply if you use the default AHCI mode? Should I set the SATA mode to IDE?
    I have not installed the motherboard yet because I want to make sure it will work with Linux first. If not I'll return it.
    Anybody out there using the same motherboard having any problems.

Just Joined!
    I believe you have run into the M$ eyewash. I haven't checked on your motherboard out practically but in my experience linux will drive any motherboard that is not at the very bleeding edge ... and this one is quite a few months old now. I checked out some reviews and OSX had no trouble, but M$ did! So that's a positive indicator. The only way to see is to hook it up and install. Even if not all the features of the MB are used by linux, there may still be enough of it to go with.