Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Bad News on the horizon for Fuduntu Levi88. I did test drive of the latest Fuduntu version a week ago and found out this. Fuduntu Team meeting held on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bad News on the horizon for Fuduntu Levi88.

I did test drive of the latest Fuduntu version a week ago and found out this.

Fuduntu Team meeting held on April 14, 2013 Fuduntu
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

In regards to the digital river downloads, maybe try to find an md5sum of the iso and compare it to make sure it didn't get corrupted during download? I've used the isos from that site several times, never had a problem so far.

That's too bad to hear about Fuduntu. I use fedora primarily because I want to test the bleeding edge features, but I would never recommend it for the average user. Ubuntu is horrible IMO, so I hate supporting it, and CentOS is too conservative in release for a desktop, so Fuduntu was looking promising as an every day desktop OS. Hopefully the spoken of possible successor will be as good.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    In regards to the digital river downloads, maybe try to find an md5sum of the iso and compare it to make sure it didn't get corrupted during download? I've used the isos from that site several times, never had a problem so far.

That's too bad to hear about Fuduntu. I use fedora primarily because I want to test the bleeding edge features, but I would never recommend it for the average user. Ubuntu is horrible IMO, so I hate supporting it, and CentOS is too conservative in release for a desktop, so Fuduntu was looking promising as an every day desktop OS. Hopefully the spoken of possible successor will be as good.
    You could also try Mint, lots of people are happy with that who aren't happy with Ubuntu but like that backing that it has.

Why do you hate Ubuntu so much?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

Very sad news indeed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    You could also try Mint, lots of people are happy with that who aren't happy with Ubuntu but like that backing that it has.

Ubuntu has become riddled with problems. I think maybe they did too much too fast and now can't keep up. I used to love Ubuntu. I seem to have major problems finding a distro that will run right on my HP Pavilion tower with what I was told had the "suicide job" Foxconn chipset. LOL. When I decided to leave Ubuntu, I first tried Zorin so my girl could use it too, but Zorin had a problem changing my bios settings and causing severe hardware conflicts that made my PC unbootable with the only solution being to do a "hard reset" of the bios just to get the monitor to come on. Same result all three installs. Ran ok till I powered down and then "POOF" I tried Mint, seemed to run good until it had an issue too. Mint likes to force my PC to restart every 10 minutes for no reason. I liked Solus for a while, but it was having periodic issues connecting to wifi. It would see it just fine, but half the time it wouldn't connect and also had a tendency for kernel panic when doing this and the browsers both Chrome and Chromium were not acting right. Fuduntu is a pain initially if you have Nvidea and I had to redo the RPM packages, but it runs so good and recognizes my devices out of the box. It runs Chrome so smooth and I have yet to find another distro that plays Netflix so smoothly

Probably just out of being inclined to use what I know. I started using Linux with Fedora core 4, and tried Ubuntu not long after that. I was in school for Redhat, so I was really familiar with how they do things. I didn't like it then, but I don't remember why.

When steam came out with their linux beta, I tried it again since I figured it would be easier to setup with Ubuntu than Fedora ... I think it was 17 at the time, and because I figured my previous dislike was over the system not being familiar to me. I couldn't figure out how to do anything, and when I tried to follow the community guides for things like installing the proprietary GPU drivers, things were either a completely different interface than what was documented in just the previous release, or it crashed. I was back to fedora after trying to use Ubuntu for about 4 hours, and I was forcing myself after the first 2. It just felt like if you didn't fall into Ubuntu's targeted user, it was more difficult than it should be to tweak it how you like it. And no, it wasn't Unity, I found it to be an adequate desktop environment, I don't see the big deal some people have with it.

I've kind of settled on Fedora for my primary desktop, CentOS for servers that I don't want to experiment on (stuff that I just install and forget about for a couple years,) and Gentoo for servers that I want to goof around on (I use server to mean anything I'm not sitting at with a monitor and keyboard.) I need to try Arch one of these days because some people on these forums who's opinions I respect have recommended it, but I haven't had time. Other than that, I'm just not sure I have another purpose that a new distro could fill, though as I previously stated, Fuduntu looked like a good alternative that I wouldn't have minded recommending to and helping other people use.

I should try Mint again though, I used it when it was fairly new, and it was OK, but I wanted the bleeding edge back. I'm a professional admin, so I like to see what's coming before it arrives in RHEL.

ANYWAY, that's enough ranting, I don't want to hijack the thread.
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Probably just out of being inclined to use what I know. I started using Linux with Fedora core 4, and tried Ubuntu not long after that. I was in school for Redhat, so I was really familiar with how they do things. I didn't like it then, but I don't remember why.

When steam came out with their linux beta, I tried it again since I figured it would be easier to setup with Ubuntu than Fedora ... I think it was 17 at the time, and because I figured my previous dislike was over the system not being familiar to me. I couldn't figure out how to do anything, and when I tried to follow the community guides for things like installing the proprietary GPU drivers, things were either a completely different interface than what was documented in just the previous release, or it crashed. I was back to fedora after trying to use Ubuntu for about 4 hours, and I was forcing myself after the first 2. It just felt like if you didn't fall into Ubuntu's targeted user, it was more difficult than it should be to tweak it how you like it. And no, it wasn't Unity, I found it to be an adequate desktop environment, I don't see the big deal some people have with it.

I've kind of settled on Fedora for my primary desktop, CentOS for servers that I don't want to experiment on (stuff that I just install and forget about for a couple years,) and Gentoo for servers that I want to goof around on (I use server to mean anything I'm not sitting at with a monitor and keyboard.) I need to try Arch one of these days because some people on these forums who's opinions I respect have recommended it, but I haven't had time. Other than that, I'm just not sure I have another purpose that a new distro could fill, though as I previously stated, Fuduntu looked like a good alternative that I wouldn't have minded recommending to and helping other people use.

I should try Mint again though, I used it when it was fairly new, and it was OK, but I wanted the bleeding edge back. I'm a professional admin, so I like to see what's coming before it arrives in RHEL.

I actually used Ubuntu for almost a year. When they released 12.10, things seemed to go down even on the 12.04. I had the 3D desktop cube and all. 1 day the cube stopped working. I even re-installed compiz and doubled checked the guide to make sure my settings were right to no avail. package conflicts amass too.I actually started out with Fedora and liked it, but had problems with doing simple tasks as it was the first time I had ran Linux and shied away from Red Hat. I just found Fuduntu and love it. Every O.S. I've had has it's own issues (except Fedora user error, LOL) and Fuduntu is no exception. Fuduntu I can live with though. Most problems occurred at install or after 1st update, but once you got around them, ran great. I did have it forget wifes and mine passwords though on my second PC making it unusable. My PC's are healthy, but apparently have undesirable hardware as they tend to reject certain O.S.'s and easily cause kernel panic should they disagree. I need a new PC, but that's still a bit down the road. Gotta find work first. Both my towers are HP. I built both from parts i acquired. They had motherboard and proccessor, but I did the rest for $29 total for both and parts. Both have dual core 2.4GHz and 3.0GHZ and SATA, so not to bad for the price

Quote Originally Posted by Levi88 View Post
    Ubuntu has become riddled with problems. I think maybe they did too much too fast and now can't keep up. I used to love Ubuntu. I seem to have major problems finding a distro that will run right on my HP Pavilion tower with what I was told had the "suicide job" Foxconn chipset. LOL. When I decided to leave Ubuntu, I first tried Zorin so my girl could use it too, but Zorin had a problem changing my bios settings and causing severe hardware conflicts that made my PC unbootable with the only solution being to do a "hard reset" of the bios just to get the monitor to come on. Same result all three installs. Ran ok till I powered down and then "POOF" I tried Mint, seemed to run good until it had an issue too. Mint likes to force my PC to restart every 10 minutes for no reason. I liked Solus for a while, but it was having periodic issues connecting to wifi. It would see it just fine, but half the time it wouldn't connect and also had a tendency for kernel panic when doing this and the browsers both Chrome and Chromium were not acting right. Fuduntu is a pain initially if you have Nvidea and I had to redo the RPM packages, but it runs so good and recognizes my devices out of the box. It runs Chrome so smooth and I have yet to find another distro that plays Netflix so smoothly
    Sounds like you have deeper issues than Ubuntu .

Yean, Unity worked fine for me, my only beef was that when I had many windows open it seemed to lag a bit, and my computer isn't exactly a slouch. This was fixed when I installed gnome3.

I tried the last fedora build (18?) and I was annoyed that it didn't have an auto-installer for the video drivers. I like how Ubuntu and Mint package the restricted driver manager as well, it makes things quite easy to setup for most cards such as Intel, Nvidia, and AMD. I guess I'm just spoiled by Ubuntu, but it's 2013, I shouldn't have to do a manual install of Nvidia drivers >.<.

I want to try Arch again as well, haven't tried it in like 5 years, but same issue as you, it takes a decent bit of time to setup. I had a base install going but for some reason Grub2 didn't grab it when I reinstalled it :-\. Not sure why, the kernel image is there :-\.

I just use Ubuntu or Mint for daily, both work fine, lots of answers, never really had problems, and lots of support on *buntu and *buntu based distros. Def. want to give Arch another try, though, at some point...when I have time (ever?).

I tried the last fedora build (18?) and I was annoyed that it didn't have an auto-installer for the video drivers. I like how Ubuntu and Mint package the restricted driver manager as well, it makes things quite easy to setup for most cards such as Intel, Nvidia, and AMD. I guess I'm just spoiled by Ubuntu, but it's 2013, I shouldn't have to do a manual install of Nvidia drivers >.<.
    I've just come to accept that Fedora's official repositories will never hold non-free software. First 2 things I do with every fedora install is change my terminal to be green text on black (seriously, how does anyone use black on white?) and install rpmfusion. Until recently, you were usually just a 'yum install kmod-nvidia' away from getting your gpu drivers. However, with this last release, rpmfusion has been REALLY slow to update to the latest gpu driver. I even made a thread here on how to "compile" and install the binary blob from nvidia. It is not ideal, but it works.

But again, I would never recommend Fedora to someone else, I use it because I'm insane (aka sysadmin.)

I really want to find a distro that is made for straightforward use with minimal manual configuration with a community that doesn't get into the politics of "Gnome 3 doesn't listen to its users blah blah blah so we'll stick with technology that's not supported any more." Fuduntu looked like it could have been it, but they stagnated just a little too long.

When CentOS7 comes along, it may be quite good for a while, but all RHEL releases usually get stale in a year.

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

Fuduntu was an initial pain to install as I had to destroy and rebuild the rpm after update as well as install the kmod for Nividia before I rebooted or "crash" Other than that I loved it. It is the only distro I've found that will connect to my LG MS770 4G Android and plays Netflix smoother than Ubuntu or SolusOS. However, I've had to abandon for the moment as the most recent update (after a good, reliable run) crashed both of my towers. I asked for help on the forums, but seem to not be heard. I looked on the wiki and didn't find anything, but not sure what to search for either. I gave Zorin another go as the last I tried was 6.1 and it caused kernel panic upon reboot from install 100% of the time. Mainly so my woman could use the PC too as she's not that PC savvy and is more familiar with Windows. Seems to be working great with the 6.2 though. I reverted back to SolusOS on my other PC as I found it gives the best display for my Jerry rigged setup. DVI to HDMI to converter box to standard RCA video cable connected to TV. LOL. I want the Fuduntu back though if I can get an answer from them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast