Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by meton_magis In regards to the digital river downloads, maybe try to find an md5sum of the iso and compare it to make sure it didn't get corrupted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    In regards to the digital river downloads, maybe try to find an md5sum of the iso and compare it to make sure it didn't get corrupted during download? I've used the isos from that site several times, never had a problem so far.

That's too bad to hear about Fuduntu. I use fedora primarily because I want to test the bleeding edge features, but I would never recommend it for the average user. Ubuntu is horrible IMO, so I hate supporting it, and CentOS is too conservative in release for a desktop, so Fuduntu was looking promising as an every day desktop OS. Hopefully the spoken of possible successor will be as good.
    Thanks. I normally use k3b for burning, but someone suggested that I burn at the slowest speed possible to ensure a good burn. k3b wasn't giving me that option. I used the Brasero with burn proof and simulated burn at 8.00x and worked. I'm starting to think that might be a good idea to keep it up too.

Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    I've just come to accept that Fedora's official repositories will never hold non-free software. First 2 things I do with every fedora install is change my terminal to be green text on black (seriously, how does anyone use black on white?) and install rpmfusion. Until recently, you were usually just a 'yum install kmod-nvidia' away from getting your gpu drivers. However, with this last release, rpmfusion has been REALLY slow to update to the latest gpu driver. I even made a thread here on how to "compile" and install the binary blob from nvidia. It is not ideal, but it works.

But again, I would never recommend Fedora to someone else, I use it because I'm insane (aka sysadmin.)

I really want to find a distro that is made for straightforward use with minimal manual configuration with a community that doesn't get into the politics of "Gnome 3 doesn't listen to its users blah blah blah so we'll stick with technology that's not supported any more." Fuduntu looked like it could have been it, but they stagnated just a little too long.

When CentOS7 comes along, it may be quite good for a while, but all RHEL releases usually get stale in a year.
    Nah, I reserve "insane" more-so "stupid" to those who say LFS or Gentoo is what you REALLY need for a good day to day OS.

As for your wants out of an OS, sounds like you would have been pretty happy with Mint, I'd still give it a try if I were you. Has all the non-free stuff, Ubuntu based, the Mint UI is based on Gnome 2.X and they want pure feedback from users on how to make it better. It's really a great distribution.

My only issue is that if they wanted to make Cinnamon from scratch, they should have done just that. I feel basing it on Gnome 2.X was a bad idea because at this point, be it as Gnome is stable and such, it's old, ancient, weathered. I don't think people pay enough attention to software's lifespan :-\. But yeah, it's a very good OS, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    Nah, I reserve "insane" more-so "stupid" to those who say LFS or Gentoo is what you REALLY need for a good day to day OS.

As for your wants out of an OS, sounds like you would have been pretty happy with Mint, I'd still give it a try if I were you. Has all the non-free stuff, Ubuntu based, the Mint UI is based on Gnome 2.X and they want pure feedback from users on how to make it better. It's really a great distribution.

My only issue is that if they wanted to make Cinnamon from scratch, they should have done just that. I feel basing it on Gnome 2.X was a bad idea because at this point, be it as Gnome is stable and such, it's old, ancient, weathered. I don't think people pay enough attention to software's lifespan :-\. But yeah, it's a very good OS, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.
    I gave Mint a try, but it forced my PC to restart suddenly about every 10 minutes. I was pretty happy with Ubuntu for awhile, but after the official 12.10 release it started giving me attitude even on the 12.04. I had the cube effects running without a hitch for awhile, but then they would sometimes decide to just not work and I started getting a lot of internal errors about the update where it would no longer do them, even on fresh installs. I found SolusOS and liked it fairly well, but on my one tower it would from time to time cause kernel panic with wifi activity. I then found Fuduntu and besides a few pain in the but post install setups to avoid a crash, I loved it. Their recent update though caused both my towers to crash and even a fresh install didn't fix this. Still crashed upon update completion. I tried Zorin again as I saw they released 6.2. It runs ok, but likes to freeze up if I have an internet window open and pop open terminal. Hmmm. It will correct itself though if I leave it sit for about 5 minutes and haven't noticed any other problems. I reinstalled SolusOS one my tower that was having the Solus specific wifi issues and seems to be running solid now. I used the same disc, but the appearance after update seemed fairly different. LOL. I really did like Fuduntu, but it seems like my issues are not heard and not getting support. I understand them wanting you to go wiki first, but I don't always know what the issue is to find it on the wiki. Blind searches haven't resulted too well. Heck, I get more help here than anywhere really. There is some stuff people just expect you to know. Foe example, when I switched the order of my dual HDD's on the SATA, I was unaware that I would need to manually choose the grub install location as the pre selected one wasn't right. If my HDD was sdb1 then my grub would only let system boot if I put it on sdb. and not sdb1, sda or sda1 as I had never had to do this before. I mean, I built both of my towers and still feel like an idiot. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know jack. LOL I ask to learn cause Linux makes me think and learn and I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi88 View Post
    I gave Mint a try, but it forced my PC to restart suddenly about every 10 minutes. I was pretty happy with Ubuntu for awhile, but after the official 12.10 release it started giving me attitude even on the 12.04. I had the cube effects running without a hitch for awhile, but then they would sometimes decide to just not work and I started getting a lot of internal errors about the update where it would no longer do them, even on fresh installs. I found SolusOS and liked it fairly well, but on my one tower it would from time to time cause kernel panic with wifi activity. I then found Fuduntu and besides a few pain in the but post install setups to avoid a crash, I loved it. Their recent update though caused both my towers to crash and even a fresh install didn't fix this. Still crashed upon update completion. I tried Zorin again as I saw they released 6.2. It runs ok, but likes to freeze up if I have an internet window open and pop open terminal. Hmmm. It will correct itself though if I leave it sit for about 5 minutes and haven't noticed any other problems. I reinstalled SolusOS one my tower that was having the Solus specific wifi issues and seems to be running solid now. I used the same disc, but the appearance after update seemed fairly different. LOL. I really did like Fuduntu, but it seems like my issues are not heard and not getting support. I understand them wanting you to go wiki first, but I don't always know what the issue is to find it on the wiki. Blind searches haven't resulted too well. Heck, I get more help here than anywhere really. There is some stuff people just expect you to know. Foe example, when I switched the order of my dual HDD's on the SATA, I was unaware that I would need to manually choose the grub install location as the pre selected one wasn't right. If my HDD was sdb1 then my grub would only let system boot if I put it on sdb. and not sdb1, sda or sda1 as I had never had to do this before. I mean, I built both of my towers and still feel like an idiot. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know jack. LOL I ask to learn cause Linux makes me think and learn and I like that.
    It sounds less like you need to find the right OS and more like something in your hardware is hosed.

If your BIOS allows for it, check to make sure your CPU temp warning beeps are in range, also verify that all connections (especially power) are good. The ****-storm of problems that you list doesn't even remotely sound software related. It's possible it's something simple, like you're out of bad sectors on your HDD or there's a crack in one of the SATA lines. Though it definitely sounds like you have deeper issues than Linux. The freezing sounds like an HDD issue or temp issue. As for the kernel panics, those are usually either HW or driver related, next time you get a kernel panic grab the kmsg logs and try to figure out what exactly it died on. None of your issues sound reasonable, IMO. Especially with the sudden restarts.

EDIT:
    I'm not trying to bash on your accomplishments but it doesn't take much to build a computer. Take that with a grain of salt I guess, as your mileage may vary, but an operating system is orders of magnitude more complex than assembling a desktop PC. So don't beat yourself up if you're not getting something...besides, your issues sound HW-esqe, which is difficult to debug in general.

Just Joined!
    It sounds less like you need to find the right OS and more like something in your hardware is hosed.

If your BIOS allows for it, check to make sure your CPU temp warning beeps are in range, also verify that all connections (especially power) are good. The ****-storm of problems that you list doesn't even remotely sound software related. It's possible it's something simple, like you're out of bad sectors on your HDD or there's a crack in one of the SATA lines. Though it definitely sounds like you have deeper issues than Linux. The freezing sounds like an HDD issue or temp issue. As for the kernel panics, those are usually either HW or driver related, next time you get a kernel panic grab the kmsg logs and try to figure out what exactly it died on. None of your issues sound reasonable, IMO. Especially with the sudden restarts.

EDIT:
    I'm not trying to bash on your accomplishments but it doesn't take much to build a computer. Take that with a grain of salt I guess, as your mileage may vary, but an operating system is orders of magnitude more complex than assembling a desktop PC. So don't beat yourself up if you're not getting something...besides, your issues sound HW-esqe, which is difficult to debug in general.
    I thought for a while that it might be hardware, and it is, just not faulty. Compatibility. HP can be a headache. The main one I've had difficulties with has a foxconn chipset, which I was warned was a "Friday suicide job" LOL. I've checked all cables, power supply and put a new burner in too. It was designed for Windows Vista. I'm running Ultimate edition 3.5 right now and am gonna switch one tower to a dual boot with both 3.5 and 3.4 Lite. They advise you not to do upgrade or use the update manager, but I have and like it so much better. They say to only do update. It's claimed to be it's own OS based on a Ubuntu shell, but it really seems to me to be a pre configured Ubuntu with packages already loaded, which is really cool. The 3.5 seems to be running great on it. No real issues so far, which is a relief cause most others gave me headaches within a few days or less and I am 2 weeks in and running strong.

I thought for a while that it might be hardware, and it is, just not faulty. Compatibility. HP can be a headache. The main one I've had difficulties with has a foxconn chipset, which I was warned was a "Friday suicide job" LOL. I've checked all cables, power supply and put a new burner in too. It was designed for Windows Vista. I'm running Ultimate edition 3.5 right now and am gonna switch one tower to a dual boot with both 3.5 and 3.4 Lite. They advise you not to do upgrade or use the update manager, but I have and like it so much better. They say to only do update. It's claimed to be it's own OS based on a Ubuntu shell, but it really seems to me to be a pre configured Ubuntu with packages already loaded, which is really cool. The 3.5 seems to be running great on it. No real issues so far, which is a relief cause most others gave me headaches within a few days or less and I am 2 weeks in and running strong.
    The hardware wasn't designed for Vista, Vista was designed to run on the hardware.

Ultimate edition isn't based on a shell, it's based on Ubuntu (the whole OS). That being said: "it's own OS" is kind of vague..I can take any distro source, recompile a kernel, shove it in, say it's based off of whatever distro I took it from, and put a webpage about it. That's typically the case with most "Ubuntu based" distributions. "Ubuntu based distribution' is usually analogous with "Ubuntu +/- some ****."

It is extremely likely the case that any issues that are restarting your computer in Ubuntu (and multiple other OS's) are going to exist in Ultimate Edition (if for no other reason than it practically being Ubuntu for all intents and purposes). They didn't even say they modified the kernel source at all, just that they purged the old kernels. Just because you haven't seen the issue, doesn't mean its gone anywhere.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "compatibility" - compatibility between what? The OS and the chipset? Extremely unlikely, seeing as the kernel is identical and it probably comes with the same set of kmods. Your problem will likely happen again, for whatever reason. Random restarts at the HW level are usually attributed to heat dissipation.

Just Joined!
    The hardware wasn't designed for Vista, Vista was designed to run on the hardware.

Ultimate edition isn't based on a shell, it's based on Ubuntu (the whole OS). That being said: "it's own OS" is kind of vague..I can take any distro source, recompile a kernel, shove it in, say it's based off of whatever distro I took it from, and put a webpage about it. That's typically the case with most "Ubuntu based" distributions. "Ubuntu based distribution' is usually analogous with "Ubuntu +/- some ****."

It is extremely likely the case that any issues that are restarting your computer in Ubuntu (and multiple other OS's) are going to exist in Ultimate Edition (if for no other reason than it practically being Ubuntu for all intents and purposes). They didn't even say they modified the kernel source at all, just that they purged the old kernels. Just because you haven't seen the issue, doesn't mean its gone anywhere.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "compatibility" - compatibility between what? The OS and the chipset? Extremely unlikely, seeing as the kernel is identical and it probably comes with the same set of kmods. Your problem will likely happen again, for whatever reason. Random restarts at the HW level are usually attributed to heat dissipation.
    Sorry, let me clarify. Only Mint restarted my PC. Zorin 6.1 caused 100% kernel panic everytime, 6.2 worked decent though. The Ubuntu issues are known ones and just weird minor conflicts on other OS's that I really believe was due to wifi card as there is no native Linux driver for it, but usually works. The Fuduntu ran like a champ till it became unstable and they announced the stopping of it. I have the UE 3.5 running fairly good with no real issues. I also have a working temp gauge on my processor along with fan rpm and keep it clean. The compatibility is hardware I meant as I built it from parts, but all match except for the burner and PCI wifi. I have learned I'm wasting my time with the overclocking idea. Also, call me a dummy, but I just learned how common bad downloads can be and learned about the md5sum, so I had many useable, but bad downloads. I torrent them all now and have got my burning method down too.

Sorry, let me clarify. Only Mint restarted my PC. Zorin 6.1 caused 100% kernel panic everytime, 6.2 worked decent though. The Ubuntu issues are known ones and just weird minor conflicts on other OS's that I really believe was due to wifi card as there is no native Linux driver for it, but usually works. The Fuduntu ran like a champ till it became unstable and they announced the stopping of it. I have the UE 3.5 running fairly good with no real issues. I also have a working temp gauge on my processor along with fan rpm and keep it clean. The compatibility is hardware I meant as I built it from parts, but all match except for the burner and PCI wifi. I have learned I'm wasting my time with the overclocking idea. Also, call me a dummy, but I just learned how common bad downloads can be and learned about the md5sum, so I had many useable, but bad downloads. I torrent them all now and have got my burning method down too.
    I'd actually disagree with whoever told you that bad downloads are common. Especially modern browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and (God help us) IE 10. I don't believe I've ever had a bad download unless the browser crashed, I ran out of space, the drive got unplugged, etc. Though yes, MD5 hashes are almost guaranteed to detect any issues with the download. Though you won't need to MD5 hash them afterwards, torrents work via hashes, so if the torrent client checks it, it's good (but you can hash it again with MD5 and check the signature, it will further your case that the image is good (though will not guarantee it, as there is an extremely rare chance that you have a collision in the torrent and a collision in the MD5...but that case is near impossible so let's call it so)).

I built all my systems from parts (be them chose, random, or just what I have lying around), and haven't had any compatibility issues. Perhaps you can elaborate more on this?

Most issues you find in Ubuntu are likely to follow you to UE.

That being said, what known issues did you have in Ubuntu? I mean anything mentioned above should be a good daily distro, Fedora as well. Sometimes it's better to work out the issues than just jumping distro, especially for minor problems. Also, you said you're having issues with the wifi card, what make/model is the wifi card?

Just Joined!
    I'd actually disagree with whoever told you that bad downloads are common. Especially modern browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and (God help us) IE 10. I don't believe I've ever had a bad download unless the browser crashed, I ran out of space, the drive got unplugged, etc. Though yes, MD5 hashes are almost guaranteed to detect any issues with the download. Though you won't need to MD5 hash them afterwards, torrents work via hashes, so if the torrent client checks it, it's good (but you can hash it again with MD5 and check the signature, it will further your case that the image is good (though will not guarantee it, as there is an extremely rare chance that you have a collision in the torrent and a collision in the MD5...but that case is near impossible so let's call it so)).

I built all my systems from parts (be them chose, random, or just what I have lying around), and haven't had any compatibility issues. Perhaps you can elaborate more on this?

Most issues you find in Ubuntu are likely to follow you to UE.

That being said, what known issues did you have in Ubuntu? I mean anything mentioned above should be a good daily distro, Fedora as well. Sometimes it's better to work out the issues than just jumping distro, especially for minor problems. Also, you said you're having issues with the wifi card, what make/model is the wifi card?
    My issues with Ubuntu were that graphical goodies such as the cube worked when they felt like it. I also hit a brick wall with the update manager. It said it experienced an internal error and I could no longer update or download packages. It still worked though. The bad downloads I have experienced firsthand. When I learned of this and how to md5sum them, many did not match. I started using torrents and they have all been solid so far as far as the md5sum. I have really only perfected my knowledge of this as well as burning it right recently. I will point out also that after some research, I discovered that many variables can be the cause of bad downloads even static interrupt on your connection. I think this might be more probable since my sole internet connect is a hotspot off my 4G Android. I run both my towers off my phone and have unlimited data and usually get a steady 8-12Mbps speeds. I only pay $55 a month for this phone with all unlimited, so it makes no sense to have a seperate ip at these prices.
    The hardware is a Belkin PCI wifi card. The reason I suspect this is cause after kernel panic on Solus OS only when I enabled or disabled wifi, I put into perspective my other issues and found that to be the common item. When I had to do a hard reset of bios on any OS crash, it would not reset properly unless I disconnected that card. I could leave others in, but that one card was the key

Just Joined!
    When I had to do the bios reset by pulling all power, battery, cables, ram from the motherboard it was because the kernel panics changed my bios settings without my approval. Only a couple OS's caused this specific problem. With the UE 3.5 though I have noticed something strange. The OS runs just fine, but on boot I have to go to boot menu and tell it to go to the 300GB HDD when the OS is really on the 120GB drive. The 300 is a storage only, but it will not boot when I let it go to the 120. The bios boot order is the 120 first then the 300. It has it backwards. It installed right though. I told it to install on the 120 and it did. Confusing, huh. LOL I promise you that I'm not mixed up either. I verified this The 300 GB is a fat format and has movies and music on it. I found that the Linux format uses more room and that didn't make sense since it's only a storage drive

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast