Find the answer to your Linux question:
I create LiveUSB flash drives using the Windows version of LiveUSB Creator and the F18 Live Desktop ISO. However, I have discovered that the persistence is not working so changes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Persistence does not work

I create LiveUSB flash drives using the Windows version of LiveUSB Creator and the F18 Live Desktop ISO. However, I have discovered that the persistence is not working so changes are not saved. I do not have this issue when using the F17 and older ISO files.

In searching (googling) for answers I have seen that others have experienced this issue and the solution recommended is to use either the Fedora Linux version of LiveUSB creator or use livecd-iso-to-disk.

Unfortunately, these are not options for my situation. So I am looking for a way to resolve this so I can use the Windows version of LiveUSB Creator.

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Are you using the pendrivelinux version? or the LiLi?
    You are able to boot but no persistence, correct?
    I tried both pendrivelinux and LiLi version of the usb creator today for the first time with opensuse and they would both boot, but as in your situation no persistence.
    I also used the Fedora usb-creator and that failed also until I modified the isolinux.cfg. Now it boots with persistence. Can you mount the Fedora flash and look at it and see what you have in the LiveOS file? You might be able to add a boot parameter to the syslinux.cfg file and get persistence.

If you only have windows installed you might be able to use a Linux Live CD.

Download

Warning: There are virus-infected copies of the Windows liveusb-creator floating around various download sites on the internet. Only download the Windows liveusb-creator from this page!
    Just Wondering. If it was me (I don't run rpm distros). I would make a live pendrive of Fedora with Unetbootin. Boot that pendrive. Connect to the internet and go here

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

Use that tool while running the live Fedora pendrive to make another pendrive persistent install while running Fedora.

Any hows. That is how I would approach this problem. That site also has a Windows version. Is that the site that you
    used to make your previous pendrive? If so. I would still try my Linux trail than the Windows path to making the usb with
    persistence.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Yes, I used the Windows version found at fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator

Yes, it boots fine but changes are not preserved. I have attached a screen capture of the LiveOS directory.

I executed "find / -name isolinux.cfg -print" but the file was not found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux Guru
    As indicated above, I used the Fedora Live USB creator and it failed. I had to modify the syslinux.cfg file. I added this to the append line in thesyslinux.cfg file which is in the syslinux directory of the flash.

root-live:UUID=
    A7D1-A364 and then added on the kernel line also: liveimg overlay=UUID=A7D1-A364
    so that the total entry looks like this:

label linux0
    menu label ^Start Fedora 18
    kernel vmlinuz0
    append initrd=initrd0.img root=live:UUID=A7D1-A364 rootfstype=vfat liveimg overlay=UUID=A7D1-A364 rw rd.live.image quiet rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0
    I got the UUID indicated above from the LiveOS directory on the flash. The actual file name was: overlay-LIVE-A7D1-A364
    You can loop mount or access the flash and look in your LiveOS directory and you should have a file which begins with 'overlay-..' Just take the uuid from there and put it in the syslinux.cfg file. I didn't really expect this to work when I did it but, it did and I could save folder/files and change settings. If you don't have an overlay file, I have no other suggestions.

Just Joined!
    Sorry for delayed response.

I will give this a try to see if it works. However, manually editing is not really an option for me. Allow me to provide more details on what I am doing.

I create a custom ISO file that contains an application that I distribute. The users of this custom ISO file use the Windows version of liveUSB-creator to create the bootable flash. I discovered this issue with my custom ISO file so I tried the F18 Live Desktop ISO just to make sure the problem was not with my custom ISO file. Sure enough, I saw the same issue with the F18 Live Desktop ISO.

So if this does work, it means I would have to manually modify a few hundred flash devices before distributing them which is not a practical solution.

Thanks for the support

Just Joined!
    Update: Modifying the syslinux.cfg file worked.

Linux Guru
    If you now have a persistent flash, could you not just dd the contents of the working flash to the others?
    Although I suppose if you already have the Fedora system installed on other flash drives they would have different uuids??
    Good luck with it, glad it worked.