Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
So I did some reading. sda is correct, I do not want to install grub in a specific partition, but rather to a specific disk. After running the below code ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So I did some reading. sda is correct, I do not want to install grub in a specific partition, but rather to a specific disk. After running the below code I get Path '/boot/grub2' is not readable by GRUB boot. Installation is impossible. Aborting

Code:
     sudo grub2-install /dev/sda
    I will keep researching. Maybe you have a suggestion for this?

EDIT:

Found this post https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questi...fedora-18-dvd/

From Post above

Rescue mode sets up a chroot for you. To install grub from a livecd, that does not have rescue mode, there are instructions here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Featur...VDwithAnaconda
    Following the second link I get this

An install DVD can be used to install or repair grub, after setting up a working chroot of your filesystems. From a root console:

make a directory to work in:
    mkdir /mnt/sysimage

mount your filesystems (device nodes are examples, be sure to fill in your own!):
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sysimage
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage/boot

bind mount your system filesystems:
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys

enter your chroot
    chroot /mnt/sysimage/

You should now be able to install grub2 to your device without interference from the temporary system.
    My question, since I am kinda lost here. Looking at my partitions, it seems that I have to do the following

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sysimage/boot
       (OR would it be    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sysimage   )
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys
    Is sda5 the only filesystem I have to mount? I am assuming I do not have to mount sda8 ?? Inputs??

I just want to make sure I do not do something wrong and mess up things even more
    Last edited by jgezau; 04-10-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Nothing boot so far correct? that means that the MBR is already messed up. You are going to have to repair this first. since you only want windows on the MBR you are going to have to figure out how to restore the windows boot manager.

Now onto Fedora. When booting the CD you should be able to boot into rescue mode from that cd. That should mount your linux install in /mnt/sysimage as stated above. then you are going to have to place grub on the disk you want to boot linux from. Aftert his is all setup you are going to have to edit the windows boot manager and tell it about the linux boot and how to load it and where to look for it.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Don't touch the windows partition if you don't want anything to be affected. Delete all the other partitions and try a fresh install (minimal) one more time. Try doing the network install may be easier on your system. What computer are you running it on?

Just Joined!
    Thank you all for you help. I am finally able to boot into Fedora and installed with UEFI and FastBoot enabled. Shot

I decided to start all over. Booted from Fedor 18 Live Desktop, installed gparted, erased the linux partitions, and created home, root and swap partitions. Then I proceeded with the normal installation installation process. Now when selecting the partitions layout I followed JA Watson guide, which he recommended to pick the existing Windows EFI partition and mount as mount point /boot/efi. I did not have to create a BIOS Boot partition as I had originally done.

Now, the bad news. When I choose Windows 8 from GRUB Menu, the below error messages appear

Code:
    error: file `/EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/ntfs.mod' not found
    error: no such device: A45C3D655C3D338
    error: can't find command `drivemap'
    error: invalid EFI file path
    Same thing when I choose Windows Recovery Environment, but I will start a new thread for this. Maybe I can get some help here!!

EDIT: I can boot Windows by choosing Windows Boot Manager from BIOS to be boot option 1. I'd still like to boot Windows from Grub.

Cheers
    Last edited by jgezau; 04-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2