Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
RE: right now my Fedora is broken There is no way for this to happen. You can use Live CDs of any previous distro, USB sticks (with linux), etc. RE: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

RE: right now my Fedora is broken
    There is no way for this to happen. You can use Live CDs of any previous distro, USB sticks (with linux), etc.

RE: so I took the HD with Linux out
    Some of the laptops do not allow using non-original HDs, the older laptops have even part of the BIOS on the HD. IMV this is high flight aerobatics that I am unable to comment any further.

RE: As for LXDE, maybe I should try it.
    It is Fedora, but rather being with Gnome it is with LXDE (actually you can install Gnome 2 or 3 in addition). LXDE distro is developed especially for laptops and notebooks. The kernel is almost the same. There were some constraints for the HD to be not more than 200 GB. If you have a greater hard disk you can make a partition of 200 GB (otherwise you may loose the other disk space, even for other OSs).

Just Joined!
    My HD is 750GB. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.

RE: My HD is 750GB
    See whether your problem is software, BIOS/firmware or hardware. On Lenovo Support - Home (US) you can download BIOS and PC-Doctor to test the hardware.
    If the hardware & the firmware are OK, you may clean up the HD to ground zero with F11 i696 Gnome Live CD installer, for example.

IMV you would hardly find any better distro than F17 i686 Gnome, unless you manage to install F11 with kernel 30 and Mozilla 3.6.9.
    Even if you suceeed to make the patches on F18, the probability of it to become better than F17 with kernel-3.7.9-101.fc17.i686 is negligible at least not in the foreseeable future.

Just Joined!
    RE: right now my Fedora is broken
    There is no way for this to happen. You can use Live CDs of any previous distro, USB sticks (with linux), etc.

I missed this part of your reply.

Are you saying just boot to the F17 live CD and then install F17 over F18?

RE: Are you saying just boot to the F17 live CD and then install F17 over F18?
    No. You boot the laptop from the live CD and it is not installing anything unless you install it deliberately on the HDD. It uses some free disk space as a disk cache, while you are working, and upon exiting it deletes everything (you can save your files on a flash memory card).
    Having in mind, however that a semi-installed F18 leaves 900 K free space on the hard disk (reserved for hardware service) I doubt that in this case you would be able to boot live F17 at all. Yet it is interesting.
    Last edited by user-f11; 06-25-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling

RE: It starts to boot up, but stalls when it gets to the point where there is an f in a circle in the middle of a blue screen.
    This 'F in a circle' is called the fedora bootup clock. Anyway.
    1. Try to establish whether your problem is: Hardware, Sofware or Firmware.
    where:
    Hardware problem means: failure in the hardware.
    Try to establish whether ALL of your hardware is installed and works properly.
    Firmware problem means: you are missing some (rather old) linux drivers, non-supported by the new distro.
    Software problem means: some oversight in the development of the new distro (which is still being tested BTW). Becides it may mean cross-software-engineering misunderstanding in the upgrading of the distro.
    2. Save the user files & reinstall the distro. Try to fix the errors with the new know-how that you have acquired.
    3. If you cannot fix the errors after third reinstalling of the distro try downgrade option and patching of the old kernel with new drivers and new firmware.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3