Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, Linux newbie here. Currently I've been messing with Ubuntu on an old Dell D620 I picked up for free and fixed. However, I wanted to try something new, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to get my Fedora 18 Live USB to boot

Hey guys,

Linux newbie here. Currently I've been messing with Ubuntu on an old Dell D620 I picked up for free and fixed. However, I wanted to try something new, so I downloaded a Fedora 18 Live ISO to a USB drive to try out.

However, when I go to boot from the USB drive, I get the first screen that gives me an option to either start Fedora 18 or Troubleshoot.

Every time I select start the screen just goes black, and nothing happens. I've let it sit for 15 minutes and nothing happens whatsoever.

So any ideas what's going on here? It recognizes the OS and let's me select it, but then nothing happens.

Thanks everyone

Hi and Welcome !

Post your machine's specs here. Graphics Card, RAM etc. How did you create bootable USB drive? Have you tried LiveUSB Creator of Fedora?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Hello and thanks for the welcome! I actually did use the LiveUSB Creator to make my bootable USB Drive. Machine Specs are as follows:

Dell Latitude D620:
    1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
    4GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
    40GB HDD
    Quadro NVS 110M Graphics Card

Currently I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Fedora LiveUSB should work fine on those specs. Legacy USB Support creates problems in some cases. Toggle Legacy USB Support option in BIOS and check if it works.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Fedora LiveUSB should work fine on those specs. Legacy USB Support creates problems in some cases. Toggle Legacy USB Support option in BIOS and check if it works.
    Are you talking about the USB Emulation under the POST Settings? If so I disabled that, and it didn't read the USB device at all on boot up. I didn't see any option for toggling Legacy USB Support.