Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I was much too fast by saying that everything went smoothly in Fedora 17. I had omitted nomodeset in the grub menu, but then applications that use opengl/xrender (blender, kde ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Problems also occur in F17

I was much too fast by saying that everything went smoothly in Fedora 17.

I had omitted nomodeset in the grub menu, but then applications that use opengl/xrender (blender, kde effects, ...) are not working. Now that I've added nomodeset these applications operate again. but as a consequence: shutdown, logoff, .. hangs also in F17 (such as in F18 ).

The 'nomodeset' works differently during installation, hence my confusion:
    • first: you need to add them for the real installation
    • second: omit the parameter on the first boot to complete the installation
    • lastly: add again 'nomodeset' to get opengl/xrender operational.

Maybe rather silly of me, but I only had to deal with this kind of problems early this year, when openGL and/or XRender was setting up as default by KDE, XCFE, and many others.

For me it is important that all services stop safely and that I can use openGL/Xrender applications as Blender, arf players (only with wine).
    Now I try to find out whether the bug will be fixed quickly. Or would it render not to wait for the bugfix and purchase a separate (cheap) graphics card that is 100% supported by Fedora ? Any suggestion?

Suggestions is an overstatement, but I have some trial and error ideas.
    Search in Google for some case with successfully installed linux distro on you laptop model. You may try also F17 with Gnome (for test purposes).

RE: but then applications that use opengl/xrender (blender, kde effects, ...) are not working.
    Try to fix the graphics in some other way.
    With nomodeset=OFF, when you come to the Desktop, write in Add/Remove Software: openGL
    ... and after that: XRender
    and install/reinstall whatever you like there. If nothing appears on the list add the X.Org repo with yum from the terminal.
    You may try also to install from the repo some OpenGL software to test the graphics.

Just Joined!

Fedora 19: Reboot, shutdown & logout hangs

Meanwhile I have upgraded till Fedora 19 and my current kernel version is 3.9.9-302.fc19.x86_64. But unfortunately the problem remains. KDE or GNOME that doesn't matter.

Are there people who are able to show me the cause of my problem? I know it is sometimes hard to solve bugs. But knowing the cause, can sometimes help to find a workaround.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

[Solved] Fedora 18: Reboot, shutdown & logout hangs

Quote Originally Posted by kdg1955 View Post
    Meanwhile I have upgraded till Fedora 19 and my current kernel version is 3.9.9-302.fc19.x86_64. But unfortunately the problem remains. KDE or GNOME that doesn't matter.

Are there people who are able to show me the cause of my problem? I know it is sometimes hard to solve bugs. But knowing the cause, can sometimes help to find a workaround.

Thanks.
    Apology.
    After hours of searching with blood sweat and ..., I solved my problem in Fedora 19.

A few moments after updating this issue, I tried by omitting 'nomodeset' in the grub configuration. And unlike F17, all OpenGL applications (blender, ...) are now working flawlessly.

I'm so happy!

Greetings.
    Last edited by kdg1955; 07-15-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Solved

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3