Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi, After installing Fedora 18 on my brand new PC, I try to create a workable environment. One of my problems is rebooting, stop or logout of Linux. Every time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 18: Reboot, shutdown & logout hangs

Hi,

After installing Fedora 18 on my brand new PC, I try to create a workable environment.
    One of my problems is rebooting, stop or logout of Linux. Every time I leave my KDE environment, a black screen appears. My display shows the message "No signal' and nothing else happens. The PC continues to run.
    Same story if I want to go to text mode with <shift-ctrl-F2>.
    When I try to force a halt with cmd '$> halt -f' the mouse and keyboard are disabled but display still show the KDE windows and the PC continues to run.

After the installation, a black screen also appeared. But this has been resolved by omitting the boot parameter 'rhgb' in grub.cfg. Maybe both issues are related?

I've been looking in my logs but haven't found something useful. Same result with google search. Now I'm a bit helpless and do not know where to look. I like to have a clean shutdown / logout / halt of my PC.

Thanks for helping.
    Last edited by kdg1955; 06-16-2013 at 08:16 PM.

You are not the only one who is helpless with F18.
    Recently I bought a HP workstation with G1610T, 2.3 GHz, HDD 500 (originally with Ubuntu 12.3). A beautiful machine with a little bit scrumbled software. My naivistic view of the things (that I do not engage anybody with) is that the computer should be in service to the user, and not the user to be a slave and hostage to the desktop graphics of the OS. Anyway.
    I tried on it F15, F18 and F19 ... and the winnir is:
    Full-featured desktop on F11 - shut down time 9 sec.; start-to-login time - 27 sec; login-to-desktop time 7 sec.
    Anything worse than that is considered a downgrade in the software engineering in any understanding of the Math (computer science).

Just Joined!
    @user-f11
    And what is your advice, reinstall Fedora11 ??

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    First of all, congratulations on surviving the poorly designed and as many reviews say potentially dangerous F18 installer. I've not seen a single good review of F18, plenty of bad reviews and one or two "meh".

I wouldn't recommend Fedora 11 as it reached end of life almost exactly three years ago. It will have received no security and bug fixes since then and it won't support any where near as much hardware. If you want to give F18 another go, I would suggest downloading another copy of the ISO and checking it's MD5SUM before burning it, at a slow speed if using optical discs. Re-install it and run all updates and if that doesn't work, consider having a look at Fedora 17 which in my personal experience is the only Fedora to work (and work well) since Fedora 10!

Oh yeah... I used Xfce not KDE as my desktop.
    Last edited by elija; 06-17-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Tone
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

But before I returned to F17, I like to know what goes wrong.
    Is it my graphics card (built into the new Intel Processor i5 4670K) or is it Fedora 18 or is it KDE? Which logs are relevant?

Meanwhile I have tried 'Cinnamon', but here I come directly to a black screen. This is in contrast to KDE, which only gives problems with the stop.

What I'm going to try in the near future: installing Intel native drivers.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's quite old but may give some pointers.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!

Thumbs down

@elija
    I disabled selinux, but problems persists. Bad pointers, thanks anyway.

Also my idea to install native Intel drivers can not solve the problem.

If no one has a solution, I'll just go back to F17. Or maybe I switch to Ubuntu. I already had many hardware issues with F17 (NVDIA issues, ...) and that was the reason the I bought a brand new PC.
    But I used 'Red Hat Linux' & Fedora for more than 12 years, even before Fedora existed. Thus, think twice.

Did you try to install Fedora 17 - i686, Gnome 3 (Intel processor, 64 bus).
    If you install LXDE version format in advance the HDD and make a partion for the LXDE not exceeding 200 GB (as far as I can remember).
    The custom drivers are intended for Windows 7 and Windows 8. The linux distro has its own firmware.
    If you succeed to install F17, click on the mosaics icon in the left row and find the Add Software icon (you can make it to be favorite, to be at hand).
    Update the software before installing the drivers.
    Click on Add Software and write in the search box: firmware

Just Joined!
    Although I'm KDE fan, I will try this and keep you informed.

Quote Originally Posted by user-f11 View Post
    Did you try to install Fedora 17 - i686, Gnome 3 (Intel processor, 64 bus).
    Not yet mentioned, but for the first time i work wit Fedora x86_64 (the 64 bit version), do you think it helps to install the 32bit version?

RE: ... do you think it helps to install the 32bit version?
    It doesn't matter what I think.
    The first thing before installing (and not after) is to find out (in the BIOS for example, or on the cardboard box of the computer) what is your hardware: 32 bit or 64 bit machine, is it Intel Series or AMD et.al.
    If you you are 32 bit Intel - use i386 (and nothing else)
    If you are 64 bit Intel - i686 (i386 will bedevil the hardware)
    If you are 32 bit AMD et.al. - x86-32
    If you are 64 bit AMD et.al. - x86-64
    In case of any suspicions - ask the Developers
    Official site: Fedora Project Homepage

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast