Find the answer to your Linux question:
Need help on this unusual problem I downloaded Fedora 18 .iso file and burned it in a cd using k3b. I installed it using VMplayer. After the installation setup, the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 18 initial log in after installation - only background shows up

Need help on this unusual problem

I downloaded Fedora 18 .iso file and burned it in a cd using k3b. I installed it using VMplayer. After the installation setup, the computer would reboot and in my initial login, I only see the usual blue background image in the screen. No GUI login whatsoever. How do I deal with this? I'm pretty new to Fedora. I've tried to reinstall it at least twice.

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the mistake, I used a DVD. Everything worked fine in the installation. In fact, it installed properly as a dual boot until the hard drive got corrupted. VMplayer has a feature called Easy Install. I am thinking that the problem lies somewhere there.

Quote Originally Posted by avek View Post
    It's not entirely clear to me what has been done. The Fedora 18 iso will not fit on a cd. It's over 4 gigabytes in size and fits on a DVD. Usually when you install Fedora from the DVD, you need to boot it from your DVD drive. Your BIOS must allow booting from the DVD drive, so if your computer won't boot the DVD you would need to enter the BIOS and change that variable. If you are installing the Fedora DVD iso, you may want to save the data that already exists on the computer, so you would need to back that up first. You could save it to a usb, or back up in lots of other ways too.