Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, anyone knows how to encrypt a samba credentials file that will still be usable while mounting? in /etc/fstab I have the following //share/folder /mnt cifs defaults,soft,credentials=/path/to/cred 0 0 in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba credentials encryption

Hello,

anyone knows how to encrypt a samba credentials file that will still be usable while mounting?
    in /etc/fstab I have the following
    //share/folder /mnt cifs defaults,soft,credentials=/path/to/cred 0 0

in the cred file I have:
    username=user
    password=password

can it be encrypted / hidden in someway but still be readable for the root user?
    Thanks

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, Expect!

The text itself has to be in plain-text, so that the samba lib functions can read it, so you can't encrypt it. but you can make it hidden if you really want. just put a "." at the beginning of the filename, e.g.:

Code:
    .cred
    then commands like "ls" won't show it, by default (but it will with the "-a" flag).

and of course, you should put it in a dir owned by root that prevents world-read access, e.g.:

Code:
    /root/.cred
    but anyone who's got root will find it.

i assume you want it to be able to mount w/o user interaction, right? if not, then yeah, you could encrypt it (with any number of Linux libraries or 3rd party utils), then decrypt it right before you run the mount command, then encrypt it again, after the mount command.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the answer mate.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    marking as Solved. Note that you can do this yourself at any time using the Thread Tools link at the top of the page.