Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Any one please help me to find answer for what is exactly inbound and outbound trafic in linux system. command to find it. Thanks in advance. Regards, Linus J....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb What is inbound and outbound trafic?

Hello,

Any one please help me to find answer for what is exactly inbound and outbound trafic in linux system.

command to find it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Linus J.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Inbound: data (such as connection requests) from outside sources - systems apart from yours.
    Outbound: sending data to remote systems, or requesting connections to servers on them.

That about summarizes it, IMO...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Inbound: data (such as connection requests) from outside sources - systems apart from yours.
    Outbound: sending data to remote systems, or requesting connections to servers on them.

That about summarizes it, IMO...
    Hi,

Thank for your help.
    I read some posts on same topic and got this information.

outbound :
    The outgoing connections are the established connections that have the source address equal to your IP address.
    #cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | grep "ESTABLISHED" | grep "src=IP address" | wc -l

Inbound :
    The incoming connections are the established connections that have the destination address equal to your IP address.
    #cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | grep "ESTABLISHED" | grep "dst=IP address" | wc -l

My question is when I test this command on my server. I got the same result for both command. Is this means that SSH connection from local machine to remote serve have both incoming and outgoing trafic.?

Please check below output :
    -----------------
    Outgoing connection :
    root@user1 [~]# cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | grep "ESTABLISHED" | grep "src=test server IP"
    tcp 6 431999 ESTABLISHED src="local machin IP" dst="test server IP" sport=51848 dport=22 packets=274 bytes=26220 src="test server IP" dst="local machin IP"sport=22 dport=51848 packets=222 bytes=41169 [ASSURED] mark=0 secmark=0 use=1

Incoming connection :

root@user1[~]# cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | grep "ESTABLISHED" | grep "dst=test server IP"
    tcp 6 431999 ESTABLISHED src="local machin IP" dst= " test server IP" sport=51848 dport=22 packets=170 bytes=18732 src="test server IP" dst="local machin IP" sport=22 dport=51848 packets=147 bytes=29445 [ASSURED] mark=0 secmark=0 use=1
    ------------------------

Please give me some example for inbound and outbound trafic and how to monitor this using commands.

Thanks and Regards,
    Linus J.

This sounds like a homework question and asking for homework answer is against the rules of this forum.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    This sounds like a homework question and asking for homework answer is against the rules of this forum.
    Pretty much what I was going to observe also...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!