Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
RE: ... but that's the price of freedom This is not the price of freedom, it is the price of short-sightedness. If the OS has sound flaw-resistance conceptualisation it should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

RE: ... but that's the price of freedom
    This is not the price of freedom, it is the price of short-sightedness. If the OS has sound flaw-resistance conceptualisation it should not allow the user and the system integrator to destroy the OS, by error of ignorance ... or error of inaptitude to compensate the lack of flaw-resistence.
    Thus for example the system should not allow the user to disable services that are critcally fatal to the OS (at least it should give some notification or have option in the grub to restore the previous settings).
    I personally have seen mind-blowing omissions, like for example the uninstalling of a spell-checker leading to decomposition of the whole OS ... beyond recovery, or uninstalling of Nautilus sending the OS with a one-way ticket into the Dimension X.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by user-f11 View Post
    RE: ... but that's the price of freedom
    This is not the price of freedom, it is the price of short-sightedness. If the OS has sound flaw-resistance conceptualisation it should not allow the user and the system integrator to destroy the OS, by error of ignorance ... or error of inaptitude to compensate the lack of flaw-resistence.
    Thus for example the system should not allow the user to disable services that are critcally fatal to the OS (at least it should give some notification or have option in the grub to restore the previous settings).
    I personally have seen mind-blowing omissions, like for example the uninstalling of a spell-checker leading to decomposition of the whole OS ... beyond recovery, or uninstalling of Nautilus sending the OS with a one-way ticket into the Dimension X.
    I disagree entirely. Make it difficult? yes. Make it impossible? an emphatic NO! Otherwise system/kernel developers/hackers would be SOL for intimate customization of the system when prepping for a new or updated distribution.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yeah I have made another amazing move:

rm -rf * - "These examples will delete all files on your computer if executed."

Everything working fine for know. Should I be worried ? Should I recovery those files ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzodkiewka View Post
    Yeah I have made another amazing move:

rm -rf * - "These examples will delete all files on your computer if executed."

Everything working fine for know. Should I be worried ? Should I recovery those files ?
    Yeah. I did that once when logged in as root in /... Let's just say, that was one of those "Oh Sh!t" moments that keeps you from making the same mistake again!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Yeah. I did that once when logged in as root in /... Let's just say, that was one of those "Oh Sh!t" moments that keeps you from making the same mistake again!
    Haha. In last 5 days I had 2 "Oh sh!t" moment. I am wondering how many "Oh sh!t" remaining ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rzodkiewka View Post
    Haha. In last 5 days I had 2 "Oh sh!t" moment. I am wondering how many "Oh sh!t" remaining ?
    A few, I'm sure!

RE: rm -rf * - "These examples will delete all files on your computer if executed."
    ... if you are root. If you are in the tmp subdir for example, it will not damage anything in the OS.
    There is a flaw resistance operation to this one. I always execute dir before executing rm -fR *, just in case to see what is going to be wiped out.
    Last edited by user-f11; 08-02-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: syntax

Flaw resistance in not making the flaws (out of ignorance for example) impossible. Flaw resistance is an option to prevent the flaw in-time ... or to correct it immediately after 'the disaster'. It does not imply impossibility of performing the operation.
    What does this have to do with preparing a new or updated distribution?

Just Joined!
    Hello user-f11

linux doesn't disallow you from making your installation "flaw resistant", it just doesn't do it by default. For example, in the case of root's use of the rm command, root's .bashrc file in fedora and red hat often contains: alias rm='rm -i' which makes rm ask you if you really want to go through with a removal. This sort of "self-protective" process could be extended quite elaborately, and perhaps with selinux to construct the sort of flaw resistance you might wish to have. You are free to do this in the distribution. It's possibly a non-trivial thing to do.

RE: For example, in the case of root's use of the rm command

I perconally didn't have problems with the terminal (except for one case, when I didn't pay attention which is the directory).
    Most of the incidents were with the RPM GUI and Yum Extender upon deleting some package. Especially with Yum Extender one never knows what he is doing.
    When scheduled for deletion the system is supposed to delete only this package and its dependencies (if not used by other packages), only this and nothing else. When you delete the spell checker, you expect to delete only the spell checker (as you have installed it), rather than deleting all the Office Packages + Nautilus + the whole graphical desktop + half of the OS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast