Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lakshmipathi
Hi, I am trying to start up NFS on Fedora 18 so I can share a folder with a VM on VirtualBox, but is shows a status of 'active (exited)' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question NFS Problem

Hi,

I am trying to start up NFS on Fedora 18 so I can share a folder with a VM on VirtualBox, but is shows a status of 'active (exited)'

This is the output of the 'systemctl status nfs.service' command :

nfs-server.service - NFS Server
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; disabled)
    Active: active (exited) since Wed 2013-07-31 13:20:02 IST; 3s ago
    Process: 3846 ExecStartPost=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.postconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 3830 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS $RPCNFSDCOUNT (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 3826 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 3822 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.preconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

And the 'rpcbind' service shows s status 'active (running)' .

Should the nfs.service showing a status ''active (running)' ?
    And if so, what could be the problem?

Thanks, much appreciated

I think you need to 'enable' it first and then start .

systemctl enable nfs-server.service

systemctl start nfs-server.service
    Life was simple before Fedora introduced systemctl

when NFS started

Code:
    # systemctl status nfs-server.service
    	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; enabled)
    	  Active: active (exited) since Wed 2013-07-31 21:59:23 IST; 1s ago
    	 Process: 11309 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -f (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11305 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 0 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11338 ExecStartPost=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.postconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11325 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS $RPCNFSDCOUNT (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11321 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11318 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.preconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jul 31 21:59:22 qabot systemd[1]: Starting NFS Server...
    Jul 31 21:59:23 qabot systemd[1]: Started NFS Server.
    When its stopped

Code:
    # systemctl stop nfs-server.service
    # systemctl status nfs-server.service
    	  Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2013-07-31 21:59:35 IST; 1s ago
    	 Process: 11357 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -f (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11354 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 0 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11338 ExecStartPost=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.postconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11325 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS $RPCNFSDCOUNT (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11321 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    	 Process: 11318 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.preconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jul 31 21:59:22 qabot systemd[1]: Starting NFS Server...
    Jul 31 21:59:23 qabot systemd[1]: Started NFS Server.
    Jul 31 21:59:35 qabot systemd[1]: Stopping NFS Server...
    Jul 31 21:59:35 qabot systemd[1]: Stopped NFS Server.
    Active: active (exited) - I dont have any idea what (exited) means. Its properly working.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.

Would enabling the service make a difference as that is only for starting at boot time?

Anyway I did stop, enabled and started back up again, and I am still getting that Active: active (exited)? But then again you said it works properly that way. I am using a Linux book, and the code in the book shows that is has an active of running?

But anyway...I added an entry to the /etc/exports file to share my /home directory with the VM. I then restarted the NFS service to allow the /etc/exports file to take effect and then it failed. Below is the entry in the /etc/exports file and the output of the NFS status, respectively.

/etc/exports entry
    /home 192.168.1.4(ro, root_squash)

systemctl status nfs-server.service output
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2013-07-31 18:52:58 IST; 18s ago
    Process: 5250 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -f (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 5247 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 0 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 5131 ExecStartPost=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.postconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 5116 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS $RPCNFSDCOUNT (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 5258 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=22)
    Process: 5254 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/nfs-utils/scripts/nfs-server.preconfig (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Can anyone identify the error? It must have something to do with the active exited?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Code:
    But anyway...I added an entry to the /etc/exports file to share my /home directory with the VM. I then restarted the NFS service to allow the /etc/exports file to take effect and then it failed. Below is the entry in the /etc/exports file and the output of the NFS status, respectively
    how did you restarted the service
    Code:
    'systemctl restart nfs-server.service'
    ?

Whats the output of
    Code:
    'showmount -e 192.168.1.4'
    ?
    Code:
    dmesg
    or
    Code:
    /var/log/messages
    show any hint of NFS errors ?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.

I actually re-typed the entry in the /etc/exports file and then it successfully restarted (still has active exited, but didn't fail). Therefore it failed because it must not of understood the entry in the file.

The output of the showmount command is :

clnt_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - Unable to receive: errno 113 (No route to host)

I then searched for a solution and it was because I had a firewall blocking the NFS and/or RPCBIND ports.

I then disabled the firewall and restarted NFS and I successfully got a NFS share from the showmount command.

But I then enabled, and disabled the firewall back on again to be sure it was the firewall, and now I dont get that share from the showmount command, but just that error again?

It's pretty strange. But I do feel it is the firewall daemon that caused it initially, but now there must be something else blocking the service.

Thanks again

I'm not sure too. But my guess is - Earlier firewall is enabled - so NFS can't register its port no (2049) with portmapper (aka rpcbind) . So it failed. After you disabled firewall and NFS server port got registered in portmapper. It works there after.

Try disabling Nfs-server and portmapper and firewall . Then enable firewall . Now try to start portmapper and nfs-server. I think it will reproduce the previous issue. Just a guessing.
    dougie1809 likes this.
    -----