Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubberman
Hi, I am trying to figure out how I am going to mount my external HD to the /etc/fstab . I use multiple HD/USB drives simultaneouly which are connected to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Mounting a drive using the /etc/fstab

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I am going to mount my external HD to the /etc/fstab.

I use multiple HD/USB drives simultaneouly which are connected to the computer. So if I add an entry such as /dev/sdb /mnt/backupDrive to the /etc/fstab, then any first connected drive could possibly be mounted to that directory when the system gives that drive a device name as sdb, right?

So how can I tell /etc/fstab to make sure it is the HD that I want to connect to, rather that a USB stick, say?

I'm using crontab to backup data to that drive using the mounted entry in the /etc/fstab file.

Thanks much appreciated

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I always name the file systems on my drives so I can configure /etc/fstab to use the name instead of the device or GUID - allowing me to move the data to a new device and not change fstab. IE:
    Code:
    LABEL=afs-ts02          /mnt/ts02               ext4    defaults        1 2
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.

How can I name the systems on my drive? Are your using the label of your device that is assigned to it?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good question. I either label it when I create the file system using the -L volname option, or after the fact using (depending upon the file system) commands such as /sbin/dosfslabel, /sbin/e2label, /sbin/ntfslabel, etc. You can also label swap partitions with the mkswap command's -L option. The e2label command works for ext2/3/4 file systems (all based upon ext2).
    dougie1809 likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot for your reply.

That helped alot. Its handy to get the proper label rather than using the dev name.

Thanks again