Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys I have a Huawei E355 3G+Wi-Fi modem and router (USB dongle) and it's been working just fine on Fedora 17 until I updated all the Fedora packages + ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 17: Huawei 3G router problems after yum update

Hi guys

I have a Huawei E355 3G+Wi-Fi modem and router (USB dongle) and it's been working just fine on Fedora 17 until I updated all the Fedora packages + kernel via yum last night. ModemManager was included in the updates.

Before, when I plugged it in, "Mobile Broadband" and an Ethernet connection would appear in Network Manager and all internet functions worked properly. After the update only "Mobile Broadband" appears and the internet appears dead. The dongle should appear on the PC as an ethernet connection and simulate a regular ethernet router, so the problem isn't APN.

After some hours of googling and fiddling I finally managed to get internet connectivity by running "dhclient wwan0" from the terminal but Network Manager and other programs like Evolution still don't see it!

Unfortunately I'm running out of ideas. Perhaps someone can help?

Code:
    $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 12d1:1c1e Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. 
    Apparently ID 12d1:1c1e is a device using the cdc_ncm driver. This seems to indicate that it's not the typical usb-modeswitch problem.

Just Joined!
    The problem is described more concisely on this thread: forums dot fedoraforum dot org/showthread dot php?t=276651
    (unable to post link due to post count... replace " dot " with ".")

The poster has different modem/distro but the exact same symptoms.

Edit:
    After some more tinkering I've noticed the following:
    • system-config-network-gui: The modem is listed under "Hardware" as cdc-ncm ethernet device on wwan0. Under "Devices" I can create a device and after issuing "dhclient wwan0" via terminal the status changes from Inactive to Active
    • nm-connection-editor: If I create a new wired connection then the device does not appear on the "Device MAC Address" drop-down.

It appears that Network Manager is not detecting this device, however drivers are installed and the device does function. Does anyone know how to add it to NetworkManager manually? Google hasn't led me anywhere on this issue unfortunately.

I have tried the following:
    • edited /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state and have set "WWANEnabled=true" however this does not have any effect.
    • force create a connection in Network Manager by manually typing in the MAC address. This did not help either.
    Last edited by juice777; 08-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.