Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am unable to use the Ethernet (wired network) for my DELL laptop. (It does not show as being connected when I plug in the LAN cable). My OS is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Network not enabled

I am unable to use the Ethernet (wired network) for my DELL laptop. (It does not show as being connected when I plug in the LAN cable). My OS is RHEL 6.2.

And why is the ethernet device name plp and not eth0/eth1 like other computers?

How do I resolve this issue? Please help.

Just Joined!
    For your ethernet card to run the kernel needs to have the driver for the card and to load it. So you need to find out whether the ethernet card in your computer is supported by the kernel. If it is, you just load the module with a modprobe command. If it isn't then you will need to find a driver and install it with the instructions that come with it.

The ethernet devices have changed names to more accurately reflect their place in the computer hardware. For example: p1p4 means that the card is in PCI slot number 1, and that the ethernet port it is using is number 4. This new naming is implemented by the biosdevname program, so one way of reverting to the old eth0 naming is to disable this program one way or another.

Linux Newbie
    Now, my wired device is enabled/can be used with DHCP. However, when I configure a static ip address for the device p1p1, I am not able to see the network icon on the top right of the laptop screen. Also, When I run the command

Code:
    #service network status
    Configured devices : 
    lo p1p1
    Currently active devices :
    lo virbr0
    I execute the command ifconfig -a to check the details of p1p1 :

Code:
    p1p1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 18:03:73:77:71:DC  
                BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
                RX bytes:28570 (27.9 KiB)  TX bytes:6624 (6.4 KiB)
                Interrupt:32 Base address:0x4000
    The details that I have configured for p1p1 include :

IP Address : 10.211.44.21
    Mask : 255.255.252.0
    Gateway : 10.211.44.1
    DNS 1 : 10.211.224.100
    DNS 2 : 10.211.77.100

However this does not reflect in the ifconfig details. How do I make it show as active and configured in ifconfig?

Just Joined!
    Okay ... the dhcp server will provide an IP address if you use it, so in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p1p1 file, if using dhcp, you would normally have the configuration variable:

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

and not configure an IP address yourself. In my own case, I do set a static IP address so I have: BOOTPROTO=none, but I do not use NetworkManager, and so have the configuration variable: NM_CONTROLLED=no, in the file. I think that if you are using dhcp and NetworkManager then you do not need to assign a static address. In my case again I use: network, I found that NetworkManager over-wrote some of my configuration files, but others have no trouble with it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaigini45 View Post
    Now, my wired device is enabled/can be used with DHCP. However, when I configure a static ip address for the device p1p1, I am not able to see the network icon on the top right of the laptop screen. Also, When I run the command

Code:
    #service network status
    Configured devices : 
    lo p1p1
    Currently active devices :
    lo virbr0
    I execute the command ifconfig -a to check the details of p1p1 :

Code:
    p1p1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 18:03:73:77:71:DC  
                BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
                RX bytes:28570 (27.9 KiB)  TX bytes:6624 (6.4 KiB)
                Interrupt:32 Base address:0x4000
    The details that I have configured for p1p1 include :

IP Address : 10.211.44.21
    Mask : 255.255.252.0
    Gateway : 10.211.44.1
    DNS 1 : 10.211.224.100
    DNS 2 : 10.211.77.100

However this does not reflect in the ifconfig details. How do I make it show as active and configured in ifconfig?
    You either need to reboot, or restart the network services. Either as root, or with sudo: service network restart
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Hello. Sometimes, on some distros, it has happened to me that PC needs to boot hardwired in order to allow net configuration complete properly.

Which are the outputs of:
    # ifconfig -a
    # dhclient ethN
    (replace ethN with name shown on previous command that corresponds with your hardwired interface).