Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Hi, I updated my CentOS 6.4 machine via Webmin yesterday, and now all of a sudden SSH is slow at connecting (once connected it seems fine) and Samba is forever ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17

    Samba/SSH very sluggish.


    Hi,

    I updated my CentOS 6.4 machine via Webmin yesterday, and now all of a sudden SSH is slow at connecting (once connected it seems fine) and Samba is forever slow whenever I browse the file system from my Windows laptop.

    Everything was fine before the updates which makes me think some additional security feature was installed... If so, how do I disable it?

    If it's nothing to do with security, where do I begin to diagnose the problem?

    Webmin's report for Real Memory: 89.09 MB used, 3.82 GB total.

    Regards,
    Charlie.

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,397
    I had the same problem when I upgraded my Scientific Linux 6.2 to 6.4. I found that my local router's DNS server was causing the problem, so I changed my DNS server mappings to go directly to my ISP's servers. Problem was fixed! A quick check would be to edit /etc/resolv.conf to use another DNS server and see if that helps.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I had the same problem when I upgraded my Scientific Linux 6.2 to 6.4. I found that my local router's DNS server was causing the problem, so I changed my DNS server mappings to go directly to my ISP's servers. Problem was fixed! A quick check would be to edit /etc/resolv.conf to use another DNS server and see if that helps.
    Thanks for the reply.

    The issue fixed itself when rebooting my router.

    In case interested this is my /etc/resolv.conf file:

    Code:
    ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
    nameserver 194.168.4.100
    nameserver 194.168.8.100
    Regards,
    Charlie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •