Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I don't think that having multiple blacklists is a problem. Well, the driver installer thinks it is a problem. That's why I am thinking about deleting blacklist.conf and leaving ther ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I don't think that having multiple blacklists is a problem.
    Well, the driver installer thinks it is a problem. That's why I am thinking about deleting blacklist.conf and leaving ther only the blacklist generated by nvidia driver. I hope it will be working

I am not asking about the kernel update because of the blacklist, but because when I updated it firsty (I updated also nouveau drivers), Fedora failed to boot. Also the boot with older kernel version and to recovery mode failed, that's why I think it was caused by nouveau, but I want to be sure. I would like to enjoy the new kernel version when it comes to repositories, but I don't want it to make me another reinstall. Also, will this nvidia driver installation work with kernel updates, or will I need to make another installation?

EDIT: I know where the problem with the blacklist is: the nouveau is running even after disabling and reboot: the driver installator sais it can be included in the system initial ramdisk or in the X configuration file. The installation failed again.
    Last edited by Adalee; 08-25-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: new info

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The current nvidia drivers work with dkms, so if that is installed, when you update the kernel, the blacklist will be respected, and the nvidia driver installed will be re-installed on first boot.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    The current nvidia drivers work with dkms, so if that is installed, when you update the kernel, the blacklist will be respected, and the nvidia driver installed will be re-installed on first boot.
    Thanks, I just installed the package.
    However, that doesn't fix the current problem with the installation. I am posting a part of var/log/nvidia-installer.log file:
    ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system. This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding. Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.
    WARNING: One or more modprobe configuration files to disable Nouveau are already present at: /usr/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf, /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf. Please be sure you have rebooted your system since these files were written. If you have rebooted, then Nouveau may be enabled for other reasons, such as being included in the system initial ramdisk or in your X configuration file. Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.
    ERROR: Installation has failed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Adalee.

Rubberman has the answers. Google "blacklist a module fedora".

The key is to get into run level 3. Either from the boot prompt or via telinit 3.

No need to make the nvidia "run" package executable, you can do sh "run" package. Is this package specific to Fedora? The driver should install from there ok so you just need to ensure that nouveau is not loaded. You should be able to do that via the modprobe.d/ blacklist file.

Try egrep blacklist * in the modprobe directory. If you get a hit, try adding the nouveau blacklist line to the same file.

Cheers - VP

Just Joined!
    Yes, I was in runlevel 3. The installer started, but then it failed to continue. I have the blacklist file in modprobe.d, but it was obviously ignored. The only way I found to disable nouveau was to add rdblacklist=nouveau to kernel load line. The graphic was awful, but I was able to log in runlevel 3 and start the installer. It also promped me about dkms, which I agreed to, but then it failed because it could not find some kernel modules or what. It told me to look to log files from installer and dkms, but I am not able to log in back- it writes that a problem has occured I should try to log in later. I rebooted and tried to do it, but it failed again. I tried to edit the kernel boot line which I changed, but there was everything ok. However, every boot try (also to recovery mode) failed. If I tried to look to loading screen, but I can't see anything special and then the white screen with error which tells me to logout appears. I am posting this from my smartphone, as I am not able to run the laptop.

EDIT: adding rdblacklist=dkms or rdblacklist=nvidia doesn't help.
    EDIT2: with some magic I am able to log to runlevel 3, hope it will be enough, I try to find the mentioned files
    Last edited by Adalee; 08-27-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I can not post photos from this smartphone, so I try to write found errors:
    From /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file:
    -> Installing DKMS kernel module:
    Error: Failed to run '/sbin/dkms build -m nvidia -v 319.49 -k 3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64': Error! echo
    Your kernel headers for kernel 3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64/ cannot be found at
    /lib/modules/3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64/build or /lib/modules/3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64/source.
    -> error.
    ERROR: Failed to install kernel module through DKMS. No kernel module was installed; please try installing again without DKMS, or chceck the DKMS logs for more information.

From boot.log I didn't find anything interesting, everything starts normally (at least I don't see there anything special what shouldn't be there).

I found the dkms framework.conf file in etc/dkms and everything is set to default, so if needed, I am able to change it. I only need to know to what. However, I can't find any dkms.log file or something like that.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I fixed it. I have no idea why I did it that way, but everything works. I am posting this if someone is a same noob as I am.

When the installer couldn't find modules for kernel 3.9.5 even if I tried to install them various times, I was so desperate that I decided to upgrade to kernel 3.10 which was available. I installed EVERY package that was shown via "yum list kernel*" (I am not sure which packages were needed and which not) and rebooted. I choosed the version with new kernel and edited the kernel line with "rdblacklist=nouveau 3", so I got to runlevel 3 with disabled nouveau. Then I run the installer again and this time SUCCESSFULLY! I rebooted normally and tried a few thing which caused problems, especially PoL and it was working correctly!

Thanks a lot for help one more time. If it weren't for you guys, I would probably never find the right way how to do it. Now I can enjoy all the features of my laptop! Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Glad you got it working. At least with Linux, even if you have to jump through some hoops to deal with this sort of cruft, eventually you can sort it out!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yes, I had many problems with some things, but I was able to repair them really quickly. This driver issue was much harder and I had a real headache of it, but finally it works! Yaaaaay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2