Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am unable to install the mesa-libGL-devel and mesa-libGLU-devel libraries on RHEL. ive tried installing elrepo and enabling the needed repositories but i always get an error or problems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing mesa-libGL-devel and mesa-libGLU-devel RHEL

hi i am unable to install the mesa-libGL-devel and mesa-libGLU-devel libraries on RHEL. ive tried installing elrepo and enabling the needed repositories but i always get an error or problems with dependencies. if anybody can tell me how to get them installed id be very grateful. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    hi again. i figured it out. im not sure which repository it is found in so "run yum-config-manager --enable rhel*" then run "yum install mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel" i hope this helps people

Trusted Penguin
    huh, looks like it is the ELRepo, never heard of it! you must have installed an RPM that installed the .repo config file (probably to /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo). if you are curious, you can check if that file belongs to an RPM:

Code:
    rpm -qf /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo
    you can also generate a list of your currently enabled yum repos with this command:

Code:
    yum repolist
    thanks for posting your solution.

Just Joined!
    Also make sure you disable your elrepo repositories or remove the repo file from /etc/yum.repos.d/ before installing the packages. If you have instAlled them.
    Last edited by sandbucket; 08-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbucket View Post
    Also make sure you disable your elrepo repositories or remove the repo file from /etc/yum.repos.d/ before installing the packages. If you have instAlled them.
    okay, not following that. if those packages are in that elrepo (specifically, the extras repo), then how can you install them if you disable the repo to which they belong? or do i misunderstand you?

Just Joined!
    sorry, I had been given instructions on the internet that to install the mesa-devel libraries I should use the elrepo repository. but I later figured out it was somewhere in the rhel repos, so I disabled the elrepo repositories and enabled all of the rhel repositories. elrepo has the same packages but doesn't install due to dependency issues and maybe other issues too. the problem is they are not found in the repos initially eneabled by default by rhel.

Trusted Penguin
    ah, that sounds much more plausible. i don't have a current RHN login, so i could not check for those packages myself, but i'm not surprised that they have them. i'll wager you just had to enable the "devel" repo, or whatever RHEL calls it.

anyway, glad you got it sorted. i'll mark this as Solved. note that you can do this yourself using the Thread Tools links at the top of the page.