Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, i have just installed TNM apps on RHEL, an TNM have its own command, like itnm_status, itnm_start, etc, which is to use it i have to go to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Set environment on RHEL

hi guys, i have just installed TNM apps on RHEL,

an TNM have its own command, like itnm_status, itnm_start, etc, which is to use it i have to go to /opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool/precision/bin, then i wondering is there any shortchut ?? the answer was set the envronment, so that use those command from home directory its possible,

and following are scripts that i input in profile file, under /etc/ directory

Code:
    NCHOME=/opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool; export NCHOME
    OMNIHOME=$NCHOME/omnibus; export OMNIHOME
    PRECISION_HOME=$NCHOME/precision; export PRECISION_HOME
    TIPHOME=/opt/IBM/tivoli/tipv2; export TIPHOME
    JAVA_HOME=$NCHOME/platform/linux2x86/jre_1.6.7/jre; export JAVA_HOME

INFORMIXDIR=$NCHOME/platform/linux2x86/informix; export INFORMIXDIR
    INFORMIXSERVER=ITNM; export INFORMIXSERVER
    INFORMIXSQLHOSTS=$INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts.ITNM; export INFORMIXSQLHOSTS
    ONCONFIG=onconfig.ITNM; export ONCONFIG
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/lib:$INFORMIXDIR/lib/esql:INFORMIXDIR/lib/cli; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

PATH=$PATH:$NCHOME/bin:$OMNIHOME/bin:$PRECISION_HOME/bin:$TIPHOME/bin:$JAVA HOME/bin:$INFORMIXDIR/bin; export PATH
    but i still cannot use itnm_start command from home directory, am i miss configuration or i put the scripts on wrong place ??and could i execute it without using "./", for exm, i used to execute it using, like ./itnm_status and i expected i could just typing in itnm_status to execute it
    from home directory

thanks and regards

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you using the bash shell, or something else, such as ksh, csh, etc?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Are you using the bash shell, or something else, such as ksh, csh, etc?
    how do i know about that ?? is there any link that talking about bash shell, ksh, csh, etc ??

thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The shell you login with is part of your user account in /etc/passwd - use this command to find out (myuserid is your system user id): grep myuserid /etc/passwd
    The shell is the last element in the line you find. For example, for my account on my system, this is what you get:
    Code:
    $ grep myuserid /etc/passwd
    myuserid:x:500:501:My Name:/home/myuserid:/bin/bash
    Each field in /etc/passwd is delimited by a colon ( : ).

Just Joined!
    the following is the result,

[root@TNMSERVER /]# grep 0 /etc/passwd
    root: x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    sync: x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync
    shutdown: x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
    halt: x:7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
    uucp: x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucp:/sbin/nologin
    operator: x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin
    games: x:12:100:games:/usr/games:/sbin/nologin
    gopher: x:13:30:gopher:/var/gopher:/sbin/nologin
    ftp: x:14:50:FTP User:/var/ftp:/sbin/nologin
    avahi: x:70:70:Avahi daemon:/:/sbin/nologin
    avahi-autoipd: x:100:156:avahi-autoipd:/var/lib/avahi-autoipd:/sbin/nologin
    admin: x:500:500:admin:/home/admin:/bin/bash
    informix: x:501:501::/opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool/platform/linux2x86/informix/users/informix:/usr/bin/ksh
    ncim: x:502:501::/opt/IBM/tivoli/netcool/platform/linux2x86/informix/users/ncim:/usr/bin/ksh

for more information ncim and informix users are made automatically after TNM apps installation
    complete, and i dont know which user id that your are point to, whether the root id ( the user of installation the apps) or ncim and informix (the user that made by the apps )

thanks

What is your user id? FWIW, the informix user is assigned the korn shell (ksh), as is ncim. The korn shell does not read /etc/profile on startup. Hence your problem if they are the user ids in question.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What is your user id? FWIW, the informix user is assigned the korn shell (ksh), as is ncim. The korn shell does not read /etc/profile on startup. Hence your problem if they are the user ids in question.
    can you be more specifice about myuserid ?? i really dont get it, is myuserid is a user who did the installation or not ??and if yes i use root to did the installation, and if i do "grep root /etc/passw" it will show me

grep root /etc/passwd
    root: x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    operator: x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin

When you installed the operating system, it asked for the root user password. Then when you rebooted it the first time it should have asked for a regular user ID and password to use since it is not advisable to only run the system as root, from the security perspective. Did you set up a user account and password? That is the user id I was referring to my the euphemism of "myuserid". Substitute the user account id I should have set up for "myuserid". Then, you can su to root and set up more user accounts as necessary.