Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Friends, I have always been a lover of redhat/fedora stuff, as matter of fact my first linux installed was a Fedora 4 i think. but due to my machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Switching from Ubuntu/Mint.Kindly help resolve few requirements

Hello Friends,

I have always been a lover of redhat/fedora stuff, as matter of fact my first linux installed was a Fedora 4 i think. but due to my machine overhitting and things i didn't understand at that time, I switched to Ubuntu so far I have been using Ubuntu.At work I have Ubuntu 12(04 and 11), now raring and on my laptop I have mint. My office wants me to take a RedHat Certification exam. For that I thought I should start using Fedora on daily basis to get to redhat familly philosophy. Before I embark on this journey again. I would like to know if there is a way to prevent shutdown due to overheating.

My laptops overheats I could feel it on the keyboard and the fan makes heavy noise , I know that but has always been fine with both Ubuntu and Mint.

I would also like to find out if there is any application like the ubuntu software center

Please feel free to suggest things you believe I should be aware of and careful of etc...

thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Highjo View Post
    Hello Friends,

I have always been a lover of redhat/fedora stuff, as matter of fact my first linux installed was a Fedora 4 i think. but due to my machine overhitting and things i didn't understand at that time, I switched to Ubuntu so far I have been using Ubuntu.At work I have Ubuntu 12(04 and 11), now raring and on my laptop I have mint. My office wants me to take a RedHat Certification exam. For that I thought I should start using Fedora on daily basis to get to redhat familly philosophy. Before I embark on this journey again. I would like to know if there is a way to prevent shutdown due to overheating.

My laptops overheats I could feel it on the keyboard and the fan makes heavy noise , I know that but has always been fine with both Ubuntu and Mint.

I would also like to find out if there is any application like the ubuntu software center

Please feel free to suggest things you believe I should be aware of and careful of etc...

thanks
    Your fan being noisy is the culprit here.
    You need to open your laptop and give it a good clean out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peconet009 View Post
    Ditto, bet the vents are clogged as well. Pull the keyboard off and clean the fan then get some pipe cleaners and run em' through the slits in the vents to clean those out as well. Also(yep, I'm going to push this Distro because it totally Rocks) give Point Linux 2.2 "Taya" a look. It's pure Debian 7.1 with a MATE desktop that's super easy to get around on. Other then that if you're running Fedora 20 or Debian 7.1(now 7.2 from what I've read) with the Gnome 3 desktop they both pretty much look and work the same except for the difference between "apt-get" vs "yum".

Quote Originally Posted by Peconet009 View Post
    How could that be the problem if it runs fine with Ubuntu and Mint?

What are the specifications on your laptop? BIOS update may help.

Just Joined!
    As for your questions about obtaining software. Two things I know of are developed for Fedora, AppCenter and SoftwareCenter. They're both in development. However, if you're looking to take an exam, you'll probably want to get really familiar with yum and rpm.