Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! i've just installed rhel 6.4 on my HP4520s for labs pourposes: Virtual server and Desktop environment are the only optional packages added to the default installation. Now, once ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Rehl 6.4 Xorg problem

Hi all!

i've just installed rhel 6.4 on my HP4520s for labs pourposes: Virtual server and Desktop environment are the only optional packages added to the default installation.
    Now, once booted, the startx command let the display flash one time and then crash. I noticed looking around for a troubleshoting that the synaptics touchpad should be an annoying problem so i tryed to skip the mouse/keyboard errors and then to install the updated drivers but without appreciable results.

The video card is the [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series] some details catched my attention in the Xorg log:
    Code:
    [   942.858] (**) HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3: always reports core events
    [   942.858] (**) evdev: HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3: Device: "/dev/input/event12"
    [   942.862] (--) evdev: HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3: Vendor 0 Product 0
    [   942.862] (WW) evdev: HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3: Don't know how to use device
    [   942.878] (EE) PreInit returned 8 for "HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3"
    [   942.878] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
    [   942.878] (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed ( 8 )
    Any suggestion?

Thanks and regards!
    Last edited by atreyu; 10-08-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: added CODE tags to aid in readability

Trusted Penguin
    hi,

do you have the kernel driver for the card installed?

try this, in a terminal (as root):

Code:
    yum update xorg-x11-drv-ati
    also, show the output of this command, to get your VGA details:
    Code:
    lspci|grep -i vga
    you'll also make sure you've got input drivers installed:
    Code:
    yum install xorg-x11-drv-keyboard xorg-x11-drv-mouse xorg-x11-drv-evdev
    if the in-kernel ATI driver ends up not working well for you, you could always try the VESA driver. See if X has the -configure switch, that will attempt to create a working X configuration file for you. You'd run it in run level 3 (text mode) as root like this:

Code:
    X -configure
    it will write a file to /root/xorg.conf.new or something like that. you can test it with:

Code:
    X -config /roto/xorg.conf.new
    there is also the binary driver option, too. see this CentOS wiki for more info on that.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can also fall back to the vesa video driver until you get this sorted out. You may need to install a proprietary AMD/ATI driver to get this to work.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!