Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all. I've recently installed a fresh copy of fedora 19 64 onto my machine and ran updates as well as installed ati drivers and steam. Upon rebooting i've got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora hanging at service startup

Hey all.

I've recently installed a fresh copy of fedora 19 64 onto my machine and ran updates as well as installed ati drivers and steam. Upon rebooting i've got an issue. The system hangs at startup. It doesn't start all of the services and i've let it sit for hours with no change. There is just a bunch of things that say Starting but can't seem to start. Its about half.

I was thinking about just wiping and starting fresh although i'd like to figure this out and learn how to fix this.

Any insight?

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, twindisk!

i'd start by disabling video mode switching. reboot, edit the grub menu and at the end of your "linux" line make it look like:

Code:
    vga=normal nomodeset 3
    and remove the "rhgb quiet" bit if that is there.

that should boot into run level 3 (no graphics) as well as disabling kernel mode switching. now see if your services all start up. if they do, try removing the "3" from the linux line and just boot w/mode switching disabled and see if that works.

also, run updates again. packages are getting updated weekly, if not daily.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post

i'd start by disabling video mode switching. reboot, edit the grub menu and at the end of your "linux" line make it look like:

Code:
    vga=normal nomodeset 3

that should boot into run level 3 (no graphics) as well as disabling kernel mode switching. now see if your services all start up. if they do, try removing the "3" from the linux line and just boot w/mode switching disabled and see if that works.

Hey thanks for the thorough response. I'll give it a shot tonight and report back! Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post

Code:
    vga=normal nomodeset 3

Hey. Booted in runlevel 3 and got to root. I decided to remove steam and ati drivers although still hanging. Can I start gnome from terminal? Also...is there a way I can find out what isn't starting? Like a log? This is annoying.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by twindisk View Post
    Can I start gnome from terminal?
    not directly. you'd need to have an X windowing session running first. if you are at a terminal, you could create an X initscript to do that. Make a file called:

Code:
    ~/.xinitrc
    and in it put:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    gnome-terminal&
    exec gnome-session
    and make it executable:

Code:
    chmod +x ~/.xinitrc
    then run the startX script to start X, which will look for the user script you've just written and run it.

is there a way I can find out what isn't starting? Like a log?
    for X-specific stuff, there is an X log, usually at

Code:
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    or similar

the main system log is also worth a peek:

Code:
    /var/log/messages
    user-specific X stuff is logged here:
    Code:
    ~/.xsession-errors