Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear All, Could I know how to unmount all the file systems when my server shutdowns. I need to get an image of my server using a BMR software and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Shutdown The Server to Unmount All the File Systems

Dear All,

Could I know how to unmount all the file systems when my server shutdowns. I need to get an image of my server using a BMR software and when I shutdown my server using shutdown -P 0 , reboot and halt -p commands the software gives an error that i need to unmount all the file since those files are not properly unmounted and I need to run fdisk command A suggetion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    If the system is shut down, then nothing is mounted.

I normally use
    Code:
    shutdown -h now
    when I want to shutdown a system. You could also try remounting filesystems read only for shutdown.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by amithad View Post
    the software gives an error that i need to unmount all the file since those files are not properly unmounted and I need to run fdisk command
    what software is giving this error? this BMR software, or the OS itself?

the "shutdown -h now" command (or the shutdown entry of any graphical desktop menu) should properly sync and unmount all filesystems.

what are your server filesystem types?

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    what software is giving this error? this BMR software, or the OS itself?

the "shutdown -h now" command (or the shutdown entry of any graphical desktop menu) should properly sync and unmount all filesystems.

what are your server filesystem types?
    Dear All,

Thanks for your infomation. Dear Atreyu, Im using Symantec Ghost software, and it gives the error, using ext4 file system. But I have plan to go for Clonzilla if it fails.

Thanks

Amitha

Trusted Penguin
    Im using Symantec Ghost software, and it gives the error, using ext4 file system. But I have plan to go for Clonzilla if it fails.
    that totally would have been my suggestion! let us know if it solves the problem for you.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    that totally would have been my suggestion! let us know if it solves the problem for you.
    Dear Atreyu,

Tried Clonezilla but it is bit complex at that due to my partition structure it backs up only sda1 not sda2 and sda3 etc. for the image.I think rather than image, disk to disk cloning might work fine for Clonezilla. Finally I went for Redo Backup and Recovery softwareRedo Backup Bare Metal Restore Solution GUI Backup Open Source GPL Recovery. I got the backup of 160 GB HDD in 7 minutes. It's simple. I haven't restore the image hope it will work fine

Many thanks...!!

Amitha

Trusted Penguin
    Tried Clonezilla but it is bit complex at that due to my partition structure it backs up only sda1 not sda2 and sda3 etc. for the image.I think rather than image, disk to disk cloning might work fine for Clonezilla.
    Sry to hear that you had trouble w/Clonezilla. I agree that the user interface is not its greatest strength.

Finally I went for Redo Backup and Recovery softwareRedo Backup Bare Metal Restore Solution GUI Backup Open Source GPL Recovery.
    Okay, never heard of that one before...cool! I just read about it, and is basically an Ubuntu Live CD with parted and Perl scripts and a GTK2 interface, i.e., all open source! I'll definitely be putting this one on my list, thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can unmount all file systems in /etc/fstab with the "umount -a" command. Only /proc will not be unmounted. See the umount man page for details.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!