Find the answer to your Linux question:
Most of the Distros I've been using are Debian based(Ubuntu 12.04, Mint 15 MATE, Point Linux 2.2, Debian 7.1) so I'd like to give some other versions of Linux a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Going to give Fedora 19 a look.

Most of the Distros I've been using are Debian based(Ubuntu 12.04, Mint 15 MATE, Point Linux 2.2, Debian 7.1) so I'd like to give some other versions of Linux a look just to see how they differ from the Debian stuff I'm use to. So, what are some of the differences going to be as far as Terminal Commands? I'm use to sudo apt-get for most things including install, remove, autoremove, update, upgrade, ect.
    I noticed in the Fedora WiKi that you use yum or rpm, so how would I upgrade or update my Distro after install using those as opposed to using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade in Debian? Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can give.

Ok, figured out that the Debian "apt-get" is "yum" in Fedora. Is that about it or is there anything else I need to know?

Just Joined!
    repositories are updated as you use them so "apt-get update" is not needed, the commands you will use are as follows:

sudo yum update - Updates packages installed on the system

sudo yum install/remove - Install/Remove software

yum whatprovides */<dependancyName> - searches the repositories and returns packages that provides the dependancy specified (useful when installing from source)

I tried to install VLC with "sudo yum install vlc" and it can't find it to install it. Do I need to do something like "add-apt-repository ppa:" would be in Debian to install the repo where VLC is then do a "sudo yum install"? I got Synaptic Package Manager installed, maybe I can go through that to install VLC but basically Fedora seems a lot like Debian except for the "apt-get" vs "yum" deal.

Just Joined!
    yeah you will need a repo for it this one should do it:
    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh h ttp://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
    (can't post links yet so you will have to remove the spaces.)
    then just run the yum install again and it should fetch it, most distros are basically the same when you boil them down with only minor differences between them.

Trusted Penguin
    i'm used to the other way (using yum/rpm but sometimes relegated to apt-get/dpkg), so I usually google for a package management cheat sheet to help me.

Also, you should be aware that the way daemons (a.k.a. services, like Apache, SSH server, etc.) are controlled is differently. If you use whatever graphical apps the distros come with to modify services, then it doesn't matter much. but if you use the terminal, then it does matter.

In Debian, etc. you'd do something like:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysqld start
    whereas in Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, etc., you'd do (as root):

Code:
    systemctl start mysqld.service
    another difference is the Kernel Security Layer. In Fedora et al, SELinux is the default. Ubuntu, Debian, etc. can use SELinux, but I think AppArmor is the default.

you should also note that, unlike Ubuntu, in Fedora, et al, sudo is not set up for regular users by default, and also, the root account is not disabled (for obvious reasons) by default.

another difference that i consider important is the way the default firewall is implemented. In both Fedora and Ubuntu, iptables (kernel netfilter packet fu) is used. But in Fedora, it is pretty much straight-forward scripted iptables commands. In Ubuntu, though, an interface called ufw is used, which, for me, adds an unnecessary layer of complexity. Still, new users might find it easier. Both distro use a graphical interface for configuring the firewall, too.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Love the package management cheat sheet, got it bookmarked. I set myself up as Administrator on install so I can do sudo without the need to go into root terminal and do an adduser. It's odd because Fedora 19 and Debian 7.1 look so much alike desktop wise because they're both using Gnome 3 that I'd not know which one I was on except for Terminal Commands. Can't wait for Fedora 20 to come out so I can check out Gnome 3.10. Anyway, thanks for the links and stuff.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

In consulting (and forum) work, one often needs to have a number of OSs available. The same idea is true of languages. In the case of OSs, one can use either cheat sheets, or, as some feel is better, a unified solution.

At https://github.com/icy/pacapt/raw/master/pacapt you'll find a 600+ line shell script that serves as a wrapper for a number of package managers. It can be useful when you are doing maintenance or solving problems on a number of OSs. That way you need to 1) learn only one syntax, 2) make that script available on a new distribution that is covered. Use
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/icy/pacapt/raw/master/pacapt
    to get it.

There are some omissions, however: slackware, BSD {Dragonfly, Free, Net, Open), Solaris. The cygwin system also has a kind of package manager, although as I recall, it is fairly limited. One might choose to extend pacapt to deal with those as a challenging project.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

At our small shop, we have systems like these running much of the time:
    Code:
    up  4 days  5 users: antiX 13 (Luddite) - GNU/Linux Debian wheezy 
    up  4 days  5 users: aptosid 2013.1 (Hesperides) - Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid 
    up  1 days  5 users: Arch (antergos 3.11.4-1) 
    up  5 days  5 users: CentOS 6.4 (Final) 
    up 27 days  1 users: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (lenny, vm-server) 
    up 27 days  2 users: Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (squeeze, backups) 
    up 43 days 34 users: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny, workstation) 
    up  6 days  5 users: Debian GNU/Linux 7.1 (wheezy, vm-server-ng) 
    up  6 days  6 users: Debian GNU/Linux (jessie) 
    up  0 days  1 users, DragonFly (BSD), 3.4-RELEASE, x86_64 
    up  4 days 12 users: Fedora 19 KDE (Schrödinger’s Cat) 
    up  0 days  6 users: FreeBSD, 9.2-RELEASE-p9, amd64 
    up  5 days  2 users: NetBSD 6.1.1/amd64 
    up  5 days  2 users: OpenBSD, 5.3, amd64 
    up 15 days  2 users: OpenIndiana Development oi_148 X86 
    up  5 days  6 users: openSUSE 12.3 (Dartmouth) 
    up  5 days  6 users: Slackware 14.0 
    up 27 days  3 users: Solaris 10 10/08 s10x_u6wos_07b X86 
    up  6 days  5 users: Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )