Find the answer to your Linux question:
*Just to make it clear, I have fedora 19 installed and running. This issue has to do with me not being able to boot from a CD anymore. I've been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't boot from CD with Fedora 19 installed

*Just to make it clear, I have fedora 19 installed and running. This issue has to do with me not being able to boot from a CD anymore.

I've been using fedora 19 for a few days and while I enjoy it for general productivity, I miss being able to play games on windows. So I decided to use a dual boot. Most sites recommended installing windows first, then linux.

But when I put in the windows install disk, it won't boot. I tried setting the CD drive as top priority from the bios menu and manually selecting the disk, but I does not show up as an option. I tried the same with a different bootalble disk and got similar results. I tried booting both of these disks on a non-linux machine and both worked without issue.

It is also worth noting that I have booted from the CD drive many times before on this computer without issue, so it seems like a pretty big coincidence that I would start having an issue with it just after installing fedora.

(also, I can still read the files on the disk from the desktop)

Linux Guru
    The boot process related to the BIOS passing control to another boot device happens before your Linux OS is loaded. So no, Fedora has nothing to do with that boot process.

What you may see occur is that the Windows DVD attempts to boot but then seems to "hang" indefinitely. This can be caused by Windows' lack of ability to read any filesystem other than its own. Because it can't read the filesystem, sometimes the Windows DVD boot will hang.

But you indicate that you cannot select the DVD for booting. That is a BIOS/HW issue outside of any OS. Feel free to unplug your HDD and try to boot from the DVD.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by discoman9 View Post
    *Just to make it clear, I have fedora 19 installed and running. This issue has to do with me not being able to boot from a CD anymore.

I've been using fedora 19 for a few days and while I enjoy it for general productivity, I miss being able to play games on windows. So I decided to use a dual boot. Most sites recommended installing windows first, then linux.

But when I put in the windows install disk, it won't boot. I tried setting the CD drive as top priority from the bios menu and manually selecting the disk, but I does not show up as an option. I tried the same with a different bootalble disk and got similar results. I tried booting both of these disks on a non-linux machine and both worked without issue.

It is also worth noting that I have booted from the CD drive many times before on this computer without issue, so it seems like a pretty big coincidence that I would start having an issue with it just after installing fedora.

(also, I can still read the files on the disk from the desktop)
    Ok, a few things you need to try out first.

1) Put in your Windows disk (make sure the cd/dvd drive is the first bootable drive) and do a full shutdown and wait a few seconds before booting up.
    If that does not work then follow below.

2) Get hold of your Fedora 19 disk and boot from that in live mode and delete your harddrive from where Fedora is set.
    3) When Fedora is wiped off of your drive load on your Windows disk (remember to do a full shutdown before loading Windows so that your RAM is cleared) With the Windows loaded update it. When Windows is updated do a full shutdown then load on Fedora 19 again to get the duel boot working on your system.

If you still can not get it working repost on here so that we can work something out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close