Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Should a /boot partition be configured on every drives in RAID 10 configuration. Thx....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

/boot partition and raid10

Hi

Should a /boot partition be configured on every drives in RAID 10
    configuration. Thx.

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure I understand your in question In short, no, you do not set /boot for every drive.

Basically, you just set your partitioning scheme like you normally do, and the RAID will take care of rest, such as mirroring/striping your disks (your data, including /boot).

I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, if not, please clarify your question.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

You have answered by question. I also found out that a system with LVM require a separate boot partition that is not a Logical Volume (LV) in A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb89 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your in question In short, no, you do not set /boot for every drive.

Basically, you just set your partitioning scheme like you normally do, and the RAID will take care of rest, such as mirroring/striping your disks (your data, including /boot).

I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, if not, please clarify your question.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    system with LVM require a separate boot partition that is not a Logical Volume
    That can be true for older kernel versions and bootloaders but is not true for newer kernels/bootloaders.

Just Joined!
    I configured Raid 10 for CentOS 6.4 - you can't create a separate boot partition. There is only one virtual drive - after all the four drives are raided together.

The Raid controller takes care of persisting the sectors using both mirror and striping. So you're boot sector will be installed on one virtual disk - during the install - as if you only had 1 physical drive.

Linux Guru
    configured Raid 10 for CentOS 6.4 - you can't create a separate boot partition
    This is only true in one context. In many other contexts, multiple HDD's are seen by the kernel and software is used to build/manage these 'RAID' sets - most commonly by using the Linux md driver. Since the OP asks the question about 'every drive' I would assume he is using a software driver.