Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Hello guys, I have a question to consult you: Is it possible for Win7 to read LVM partation of Fedora 15 in my dual booting system ? If yes, is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17

    Any tools for win7 to read fedora 15 partation


    Hello guys,

    I have a question to consult you:

    Is it possible for Win7 to read LVM partation of Fedora 15 in my dual booting system ? If yes, is there any tools for doing that? I have tried several tools like 'ext2read, ext2 fsd', none of them bingo!


    best regards,
    yours alex

  2. #2
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    3,190
    Doesn't look like it. The link below at the Fedora Forums would also seem to indicate no, unless something has been developed in the last few months.

    [SOLVED] Reading LVM partitons of Linux in Windows - FedoraForum.org

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie slw210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Central Florida
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Doesn't look like it. The link below at the Fedora Forums would also seem to indicate no, unless something has been developed in the last few months.

    [SOLVED] Reading LVM partitons of Linux in Windows - FedoraForum.org
    I'll second that, I was looking this weekend myself for ext4. Nada

  4. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    I'll second that, I was looking this weekend myself for ext4. Nada
    Thanks to yancek & slw210.

    It's certain for the conclusion that there is no tools for win7 to read LVM partation.

    thanks again.

  5. #5
    Linux Engineer docbop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Woodshed, CA
    Posts
    943
    What about just using Samba and sharing with Windows.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Roxoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    3,885
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    What about just using Samba and sharing with Windows.
    That can be tricky when the machine in question is a dual-boot one.

    Considering that there is a FUSE module to allow read and write of NTFS partitions, and FAT32 can be read/written natively by Linux, the solution I propose is that you write any data you want to share from your Linux system onto a separate partition or put it in a special directory on your Windwos partition.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

  7. #7
    Linux Engineer docbop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Woodshed, CA
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    That can be tricky when the machine in question is a dual-boot one.

    Considering that there is a FUSE module to allow read and write of NTFS partitions, and FAT32 can be read/written natively by Linux, the solution I propose is that you write any data you want to share from your Linux system onto a separate partition or put it in a special directory on your Windwos partition.
    My Bad didn't notice the dual boot.

    I worked in Media for awhile and had to deal with bouncing between Mac's and Windows on a single drive and did what your suggesting and created a FAT32 transfer partition to move data between the OSes. Worked perfect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •