Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm a new user of this forum and I'm not an expert of linux. I have a broken old pc with red hat linux, I clone hdd to another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clone redhat to another hdd

Hi,
    I'm a new user of this forum and I'm not an expert of linux.
    I have a broken old pc with red hat linux, I clone hdd to another pc with different mainboard and it's ok but it has only one problem, the usb ports not work.
    In the boot this message appears:
    redhatboot1.jpg

Someone can help me?
    Thanks
    Last edited by aitv; 12-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.

I can't say for certain what's wrong here - but it does look like it cannot find the hardware. You say this is a different mainboard? Is it possible that the usb ports are disabled in the BIOS?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I can't say for certain what's wrong here - but it does look like it cannot find the hardware. You say this is a different mainboard? Is it possible that the usb ports are disabled in the BIOS?
    The usb ports are enable, see this:

[root@localhost root]# lspci -v | grep HCI
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (Hub #1) (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (Hub #2) (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB (Hub #3) (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB USB EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])

Just Joined!
    There are (or used to be - I can't check it at the moment) several different usb packages. usb-ohci, usb-uhci, and one other I can't recall at the moment. You probably have the one that was appropriate for the old hardware, but won't work on the new stuff. (If the new machine is enough newer, none of them may work, because it's hardware that's too new for the software. If everything else works, that's not tremendously likely.)

I'd try installing the other usb packages (via either yum or up2date, depending on how old the old system was), and/or install a new kernel.

Just noticed that your lspci output mentions EHCI. I don't remember a package by that name, but that supports my guess that you've got the wrong set of USB software running in your kernel. Since it also mentions UHCI, installing usb-uhci would be the first thing I'd try. (Uninstall usb-ohci if just installing the other one gets you the same error message.)

What I'd really recommend is trying to install a more modern version of Linux on the machine (on another hard drive or another partition), and then mount this one as a data drive. If you combine a very old version of Linux with different hardware, you're doing very well to only have this one problem.

Just Joined!
    Thanks,
    The problem was in the file /etc/modules.conf .
    I replaced the line:
    alias usb-controller usb-ohci
    with:
    alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
    And now it work!

Thanks