Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am hoping someone would be able to help me in getting the pre-installed Net-SNMP service updated. It appears to be causing a problem with the monitoring tool that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Update Net-SNMP on RHEL4

Hello, I am hoping someone would be able to help me in getting the pre-installed Net-SNMP service updated. It appears to be causing a problem with the monitoring tool that we use and causes the snmpd process to stop responding. Here's what I've tried so far:

I'm downloaded the net-snmp source code, extracted it, ran "./configure" and get this error when I run "make":
    grep: /usr/lib64/libbeecrypt.la: No such file or directory

I can't find what or where I'm supposed to get libbeecrypt.la. According to some google searches, it's part of beecrypt-devel package but can't seem to get that installed either.

I've tried using up2date but end up with this error:
    There was an SSL error: [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE', 'certificate verify failed')]

I've tried to get Yum installed by downloading the required rpm packages but always ends up that I can't get a depency package installed. I eventually did get an older version of Yum installed but end up getting a response that it can't connect to a source at Duke (I can't post the actual error because it include a link and the forums won't let me)

Anyone able to assist me with this? I've been working on this for about 2 weeks and keep running into dead ends.

I'd like to get Net-SNMP updated to any version - doesn't have to be the latest by any means possible preferably that I can do it via command line but will settle for anything at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by csminkey View Post
    I'm downloaded the net-snmp source code, extracted it, ran "./configure" and get this error when I run "make":
    grep: /usr/lib64/libbeecrypt.la: No such file or directory
    The ATrpms repo for RHEL 4 has that package. Either configure yum to use that as a repo source, or just download the file and install it with rpm.

Just Joined!
    Hi Atreyu, thanks for your help. I tried to install the beecrypt-devel package but I think also requires the libbeecrypt6 package. So I tried to install that and requires libstdc++.so.6 and can't seem to find that.

I also tried yum from your link but when I followed the instructions and ran 'yum install net-snmp' I get the following response:

Code:
    Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
    Server: Fedora Core 4ES - x86_64 - ATrpms
    retrygrab() failed for:
      dl.atrpms.net/el4ES-x86_64/atrpms/stable/headers/header.info
      Executing failover method
    failover: out of servers to try
    Error getting file dl.atrpms.net/el4ES-x86_64/atrpms/stable/headers/header.info
    [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Given that RHEL 4 is deprecated and pretty much no longer supported, you may have trouble finding active yum repositories. I'm not sure that net-snmp is supported on RHEL 4 as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Is there another SNMP alternative?

Linux Engineer
    You could download the sources for beecrypt and build them. Sometimes it's a question of patiently finding the dependencies and building and installing them individually - tedious but it can be done.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by csminkey View Post
    I tried to install the beecrypt-devel package but I think also requires the libbeecrypt6 package. So I tried to install that and requires libstdc++.so.6 and can't seem to find that.
    Red Hat hosts a package containing that library for RHEL 4 on their ftp site. Here's the links for x86_64 and i686:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/dst2...3.1.x86_64.rpm
    ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/dst2...6-3.1.i386.rpm

I also tried yum from your link but when I followed the instructions and ran 'yum install net-snmp' I get the following response:

Code:
    Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
    Server: Fedora Core 4ES - x86_64 - ATrpms
    retrygrab() failed for:
      dl.atrpms.net/el4ES-x86_64/atrpms/stable/headers/header.info
      Executing failover method
    failover: out of servers to try
    Error getting file dl.atrpms.net/el4ES-x86_64/atrpms/stable/headers/header.info
    [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    like rubberman said, you're running into the fact that RHEL has passed on to the afterlife, even though it still walks among us.

you can always d/l the packages by hand (from ATrpms or wherever) and install them manually with rpm. but i'd only do that if it is a handful of files, and they don't affect integral system-type files.