Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello and thank you! I am trying to mount a shared folder between the host (windows 7 64bit) and guest (CentOS) and I am having trouble accessing the shared folder! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VirtualBox Redhat 64bit CentOS - User is not in the sudoers file

Hello and thank you!

I am trying to mount a shared folder between the host (windows 7 64bit) and guest (CentOS) and I am having trouble accessing the shared folder!

Under /media/sf_shared I get 'permission denied.' I then use the command line to sudo cd /media/sf_shared and get the message:

USER is not in the sudoer file. This incident will be reported.

I read online forums saying to go to administration -> User and groups and add yourself to sudoer. There is no sudoer or sudo or any su group in the list. Furthermore, another forum said to use the sudo command to change the /etc/sudoer list and of course, I cannot do that because I get the same error message (obviously -- the original problem is that I CANNOT USE SUDO).

I wasted so much time on something that should be so petty. I need help please!

Open a terminal as root type visudo to edit the sudoers file.

Just Joined!
    I appreciate it, yeah. Typed in 'su' and became root and then I was able to do it. Thanks a lot!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close