Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
... with the disk light remaining on.I waited for a LONG time for it to stop but no go. What's going on?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Computer suddenly freezing with Fedora 20

... with the disk light remaining on.I waited for a LONG time for it to stop but no go. What's going on?

Just Joined!
    Howdy

Just saw this; sorry its so late. I have the same issue; always when I accessing the web particularly g+, gmail or social media websites with many desktops open.

Do you have browser open - many pages.
    Suggest you go to terminal mode, if you're using chromium (like I did earlier today) I use the comamnd 'killall chromium' to kill my browser.

Before i had chromium loaded; I used to use Arora for my social media stuff; meaning it was 'killall arora'

Steps I did was

(1) ensure I'm logged into tty anyway; loggin in can be impossible if its locking like you say; as you get timeout before entering password.
    (2) enter htop (or top if htop not loaded); it'll show what's using cpu. if your problem is like mine, nothing much will show except for the 'pager' as it shoves pages of wasted memory to disk [thrashing] My browser was always near top (though was 5-7%), so if no data will be lost (like browser where you view only; if I'd entered tons of data into say libre-writer I'd not want to kill that) I'd use the killall the kill the process.

Yep you can kill leach process ID manually; but chromium etc. have many PIDs to kill thus I just killall instead of entering all the PIDs.

i suspect its a badly written addon, or badly written code in g+, fb though as it only happens in f20 it could be something in f20.

Just Joined!
    Howdy

Just saw this; sorry its so late. I have the same issue; always when I accessing the web particularly g+, gmail or social media websites with many desktops open.

Do you have browser open - many pages.
    Suggest you go to terminal mode, if you're using chromium (like I did earlier today) I use the comamnd 'killall chromium' to kill my browser.

Before i had chromium loaded; I used to use Arora for my social media stuff; meaning it was 'killall arora'

Steps I did was

(1) ensure I'm logged into tty anyway; loggin in can be impossible if its locking like you say; as you get timeout before entering password.
    (2) enter htop (or top if htop not loaded); it'll show what's using cpu. if your problem is like mine, nothing much will show except for the 'pager' as it shoves pages of wasted memory to disk [thrashing] My browser was always near top (though was 5-7%), so if no data will be lost (like browser where you view only; if I'd entered tons of data into say libre-writer I'd not want to kill that) I'd use the killall the kill the process.

Yep you can kill leach process ID manually; but chromium etc. have many PIDs to kill thus I just killall instead of entering all the PIDs.

i suspect its a badly written addon, or badly written code in g+, fb though as it only happens in f20 it could be something in f20.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I'm not sure whether it's the browser - since I'm on the web practically ALL of the time I'm in Fedora, it's very hard to detect. I use Firefox, not Chromium. I DON'T have many desktops open.

What I want to know is - WHY is this happening? WHAT is it doing?

Btw, what's "Arora"?

Just Joined!
    Sorry my last post is listed; twice - unsure why.
    Arora is just another browser.

> "on the web practically ALL the time"
    do you mean browsing? or if other - please clarify.

My quick answer was because my fedora20 'hangs', but only when browsing social media type sites; and assuming you were experiencing similar. Fedora itself on mine does NOT hang, just browsers cause thrashing, and I restore control with the *nix command "killall".

How familiar are with you *nix? (linux, bsd, unix...) - have you looked thru `tail` of `dmesg` for clues (if browser or applications program at fault, its possible it'll contain little as mostly system 'catchall' log).
    Can you watch videos (have accelerated video; less /var/log/Xorg.0.log or equiv); off-track I know but though won't leave my mind.

I found the following which may be of interest; very minor info on some commands, but the script at end may be useful to you (note: i've not examined it).
    stackoverflow.com/questions/11972950/linux-how-to-detect-if-a-process-is-thrashing-too-much

I mentioned chromium because that's where I have most issues on fedora; or before I loaded chromium it was Arora (I use specific browsers for specific things, google+/etc only on chromium; my firefox never goes near search engines as keep that for financial stuff). In crappy english was trying to provide clues as to how i fix my 'hanging' fedora assuming similar issue. My fedora is clean; it only gives issues after awhile after browsing; and killing the errant browser gives me back control.

i'd suggest having a vtty or tty open; with htop|top on it. Get to know what normal memory looks like (`vmstat`|`free`) when system is behaving, then `watch` (eg. `vmstat -n 1`). When processes malloc() memory too much causing swap; they won't be top of the cpu% chart; the pager will be trying to provide requested memory; so watch 'virt'. (htop is just colorful top)

This is no answer- but hopefully some clues to aid your exploration.
    If you don't like command line, there are GUI system monitor tools, but each DEsktop has its own, and i'm less familiar with them.

Chris g.

Just Joined!
    more thoughts:
    i try and put actual commands in `cat` backslashes; if you're familiar with bash you'll hopefully know why i use those brackets; if not they'll help identify commands

i'm assuming (still) that the 'hanging' only occurs during a specific activity.
    if hanging occurs regardless of activity; eg. games one time, email next, browsing next, editing documents last - its more likely hardware issues. that's why the 'video' though I didn't continue.

explore 'dmesg' for errors. if you're not familiar with scanning dmesg on machines though; you're likely to get caught up on 'errors' or 'warnings' that exist on many machines & don't cause issues. (eg. if you boot and it wasn't hibernated; you'll have an error saying it didn't find hibernation file to continue from - that's expected if a real boot! and not a resume)

do all devices work - its not just 'hanging' because of slow internet? lan or other?

Linux User
    I don't WANT to have to run "top" - WHY should Fedora do this???

As I said, just about all the time I'm in Fedora, I'm browsing, so it's pretty much activity independent I think, but I'm not sure.

I'm quite familiar with Linux commands, been using it for a long time, but didn't know "vmstat", thanks!

I have 1 gig RAM, but I do NOT have any virtual mem configured, at least I don't recall switching on anything in Fedora, I have a feeling that's what the root cause of this thing is, but.... this is really bad on Fedora's part, just because I have less RAM doesn't mean it should make my computer unusable!

Just Joined!
    As for partitioning - linux & windows 8 work similar ways - ie. have a swap partition.
    Earlier versions of windows could do this to, but did not require it - they did however create a swapfile where memory allocation by programs (beyond ram available) was possible by allowing some memory to be swapped out to disk.

If you don't have a swap partition - fedora isn't stalling; its just processing a lack of memory. It actually performs better than win2k (5), xp (5.1) in this regard; as its a more lean system (ie. compiled to machine code; not p-code as per windows; which is more 'dynamically' run (ie. calls to libraries - closer to interpreted).

If you're limiting the system to 1gb - you'll be unable to access g+, fb, or any social media - as those sites are not memory efficient; they run in languages that are extremely memory wasteful; but do allow for a dynamic environment (ie. look good & very 'real time' in appearance). This will be your problem it seems.

Check your partitioning; check you do have a swap partition (default to any *nix; also windows ; if not the swapfiile on existing partition (aka w2k/wxp;vista..); though unlikely as not default and would require you to engage with fedora - if none, you need to boot something like pmagic & create a swap partition using some disk; allocating it to swap.

This is basic OS requirements. Probable you've already got it; if you didn't - you've setup your system incorrectly ignoring all operating system principles.

The power in linux is that it allows almost any setup; whilst this is more powerful, useful & allows best use of hardware; it does allow mis-setup such as no-swap partition; which would only be done by someone in error, without thinking or realizing what was done..

To have no swap partition - you've have to have sabotaged the install I suspect.

To check - go to shell; run `parted` (if want to use GUI - use gparted, qtparted or equivalent; though these may require installation) & when parted is running, enter the command 'print' which will display partition info. If you're more than one drive; it may require a select to select drive; but most likely not. Look for a type=82, or swap partition.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you are not using a swap partition then try turning down the kernels desire to use it (this can lead to a boost even if you are using swap) although 1GB isn't a huge amount of memory these days. A few browser tabs and a word process or two...

For kicks run
    Code:
    cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    I believe the default will be 60. Then edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf as root and add the line
    Code:
    vm.swappiness = 10
    if the line is there then just change the value and reboot. The kernel will now be significantly less inclined to want to use swap. I believe you can make that 10 a 0 (zero) to pretty much turn it off altogether but I have never tried that.
    guiverc likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    what DE (desktop) are you running?
    Gnome & KDE (I love KDE) are large; and don't leave much memory for programs.
    XFCE is lighter & my favorite for machines with 1gb (machine I'm using now; leaves more memory for firefox; liferea (my RSS news reader) & mail programs also in memory).
    LXDE likewise is light (possibly lighter than xfce, but I prefer xfce).

Swap files (or better yet swap partitions - they're faster; why windows 8 now uses them, over the default of swapfile for earlier windows) are MORE CRITICAL on machines with less memory.

to exit parted - use the QUIT command. If you're stuck - use the HELP command.
    If you have more than one drive; use something like "select /dev/sdb" to select the second SCSI|SATA|SAS HDD; /dev/sda being the first SCSI|SATA|SAS hdd.
    If you have PATA (commonly called IDE wrongly) it could be /dev/hda or /dev/hdb - but its not linux that decides names, but your machine's BIOS that dictates the name to the OS.

TOP/HTOP. I'd rather know what's occurring inside my machine, increase my knowledge, which provides me with more skills (knowledge is power) especially if things go wrong. Windows provides a certain [limited] number of tools; *nix provides all the tools you'll ever need. You need not know anything, but you'll have guessed my preference is to learn the tools I use (learn as much about computers as possible given I do rely on them). If you don't want to use command prompt; GUI tools are possible; but don't have the power of the sysadmin tools (command level).

(GUI tools require you to be on location; are painful if you're at another location- text or tty tools are the same if local; or across the globe as text is low-bandwidth; but its your choice).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast