Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear Forum I have 1 TB sata HDD which I used in raid but now I want to use it on my deskstop machine but when put it in my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post how to use harddisk which is removed from raid partation

Dear Forum
    I have 1 TB sata HDD which I used in raid but now I want to use it on my deskstop machine but when put it in my Deskstop machine and tried to install centos 6 on it ,It shows me software raid tag and cannt allow me to do partation ........how to remove that SOFTWARE RAID tag ??????

I was in the mess once with a Compaq SmartArray RAID and it was a pain had to put the drive back in the computer with the RAID card and use the RAID management software to "remove" it from the array, but the array being gone software was confused to.

You can't remap drives anymore I kind of miss that feature old drives had, so I would say you're going to need something that does a bit level overwrite of the disk. So dd can do that or use some disk imaging tools and put an disk image of a whole disk on. Maybe use a disk wiper like DBAN and wipe the disk that should zero it out.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

[QUOTE=docbop;951451]I was in the mess once with a Compaq SmartArray RAID and it was a pain had to put the drive back in the computer with the RAID card and use the RAID management software to "remove" it from the array, but the array being gone software was confused to.

You can't remap drives anymore I kind of miss that feature old drives had, so I would say you're going to need something that does a bit level overwrite of the disk. So dd can do that or use some disk imaging tools and put an disk image of a whole disk on. Maybe use a disk wiper like DBAN and wipe the disk that should zero it out.[/QUOTE

Yoy are right my friend .....
    when I am installing centos 5.10 it creates partation with the installation media and installed it successfully..... But When I am going to install centos 6.5 on the same hdd it doesnot show the old partation table which i created in centos 5.10 ..

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Me, I boot a live DVD, don't mount the HD in question, and use dd to erase it, including the partitional table / boot sector: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

/dev/sdX is the ID of the drive in question, such as /dev/sdb. Once it is erased, you can use fdisk to create a new boot sector and partition table on the drive and then install Linux on it like new. FWIW, erasing a 1TB drive entirely like that will take some time (an hour or two at least), so you might want to simply erase the first couple of megabytes of the disc instead. That should work ok as well, and take a lot less time (seconds vs hours). You would use the count=BLOCKS option to do that. Since the block size (bs=1M) is set to 1 MB, you can set count=2 to erase 2 MB of data from the start of the drive. I think that would work - haven't tried it yet...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!