Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have CentOS. Sometimes it does not boot X server due too not enough free space. I try to see "df -h" Sys. de fich. Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Monté ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Free space

I have CentOS.
    Sometimes it does not boot X server due too not enough free space.
    I try to see "df -h"

Sys. de fich. Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Monté sur
    /dev/sda3 9,5G 9,5G 0 100% /
    /dev/sda8 422G 164G 237G 41% /home
    /dev/sda7 965M 24M 892M 3% /tmp
    /dev/sda6 965M 32M 884M 4% /var/tmp
    /dev/sda2 15G 11G 3,3G 77% /usr
    /dev/sda1 190M 38M 143M 21% /boot
    tmpfs 2,0G 0 2,0G 0% /dev/shm

The question is

How sda3 (which has 9.5G) can be mounted to the top folder and it has less volume than sda8 which has 422G

How to solve the problem with free space?

Linux Guru
    /dev/sda3 is your root partition, the / of the filesystem and it is full so you are lucky it boots at all. The size of the / partition is set by the person who installs the system. Systems are getting much larger and apparently, 9.5GB isn't enough for a newer version of CentOS or you have installed a lot of software. The / partition is usually much smaller than the data partitions, particularly on servers. To eliminate this problem, you would either need to remove something from sda3 or increase the size of the partition. After that you can increase the size of sda3, the / partition. You need to take space from a contiguous partition which would be sda2 which is pretty full or sda4 which is probably your Extended partition so that won't help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yancek is correct. You can try removing some of the log files from /var/log, and clearing out /tmp. Temporary solutions only. You need to move some of the bigger directory trees from / to one of the other file systems, such as /var, /opt, and /usr/share, then create links back to their original locations so the system knows how to find that stuff. The only other solution is to re-partition your drive(s), resize the partitions, and adjust /etc/fstab accordingly. Good Linux admin stuff...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!