Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! A few precursors ... - I have not been an admin in about 20 years and probably have no business running my own linux server (for web and mail) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Telling sendmail NOT to use procmail

Hello!

A few precursors ...

- I have not been an admin in about 20 years and probably have no business running my own linux server (for web and mail) at home. Nonetheless I do. With every upgrade, life becomes tougher for me with all the security upgrades

- My latest is:
    - Linux 3.13.10-200.fc20.x86_64 on x86_64
    - Sendmail version 8.14.8, config V10/Berkeley
    - Lenovo ThinkServer (The first time I have thrown serious hardware at it)
    - Being a wimp that I am, I try doing everything through webmin first and then step out where necessary
    - I do meticulously document every reference and ever command/config so that I can re-create the server if I need to

- Why my own?
    - I have a 6TB website - photos videos - my hobby

- Here is what is messed up ...
    - I have sendmail set up fine, firewall set up fine, Outlook on windows machine set up fine
    - I am able to send out email fine
    - I am also able to receive email but it gets stuck in MailQ
    - Somehow it is set up to use procmail ... why oh why?

- Error
    - sendmail log says <>... Connecting to local...
    <>... Deferred: local mailer (/usr/bin/procmail) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL - which of course doesn't tell me squat
    - I can't find a procmail log file either
    - I do not see ANY procmail config either at /etc level or in any of the /home directories

- I do NOT want the overhead of managing procmail ... I would much rather use aliases and be done with it - I do NOT want all this security stuff
    - Why? This server is inside a firewall with just my computers and my family members' email addresses - I rely primarily on a dual homed firewall for protection (I have learnt my lesson the hard way) and also sendmail access is set to a specific static internal IP address in my home network

Can someone help me with:
    - Not using procmail
    - Reverting to aliases
    - And finally, later, help with Outlook 2013 and dovecot (no error, but for some reason, an email in mailbox is not being downloaded by Outlook)

Thanks for reading through the long story above and your help! I am too old to deal with all these advancements!

Much regards,

Sandipan

Just Joined!
    One ask ... can someone point out how to have sendmail use aliases instead of procmail? I can find info on ways to use procmail, but not make a reverse change. Thanks.

I'm not exactly an expert on this, but I've dabbled a bit in this field. And, seeing as how you're not getting many other responses here, I'll chip in with what I can.

There is a modular alternative to Procmail that is build with Perl, it seems to be available here: Mail-Procmail. It should also be possible to write your own filters too using the language of your choice. All they need to do is dump incoming main (text format) into the appropriate mailbox file, I believe.

I thought (and I could be wrong) that you declared your procmail, or whatever mailer agent with an m4 line along these lines:

Code:
    MAILER(`procmail', PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH)dnl
    and changing it should be as simple as updating this to point at something else.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Telling sendmail to use aliases, not procmail

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I'm not exactly an expert on this, but I've dabbled a bit in this field. And, seeing as how you're not getting many other responses here, I'll chip in with what I can.

... snip ...

I thought (and I could be wrong) that you declared your procmail, or whatever mailer agent with an m4 line along these lines:

Code:
    MAILER(`procmail', PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH)dnl
    and changing it should be as simple as updating this to point at something else.
    Thanks for your help! I tried that. I dnl'd the following three lines, but it still tried procmail.

Lines:
    dnl define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/bin/procmail')
    dnl FEATURE(local_procmail, `', `procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')
    dnl MAILER(procmail)

The error now:
    procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/mail/sandipan.lock"
    procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/sandipan"
    550 5.0.0 <x@x.com>... Can't create output

Can you help me?