Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

out of scan range?

so i installed fedora 3. then changed the resolution becasue it was very choppy(like the pixels were too big) and rebooted. in the middle of restarting, the screen goes black and a message in the middle(from the monitor) says "out of scan range 81.30kHz / 75z" now what do i do? i have a sony 15 inch LCD monitor. model number sdm-m51. my video card is a GE force 2 MX. how could it even be the monitor or vid card. i was on the fedora desktop and played around for a little after i installed it. any help appreciated

Linux Engineer
    this is normal if the refresh rate wasnt lowered...

Sony STYLEPRO SDM-S53/B (Black) 15 in. Flat Panel LCD Monitor
    Synchronization Range - Vertical 48 - 75 Hz
    Synchronization Range - Horizontal 28 - 61 kHz
    Sony SDM HS53 (White) 15 in. Flat Panel LCD Monitor
    Synchronization Range - Vertical 48 - 75 Hz
    Synchronization Range - Horizontal 28 - 61 kHz
    You will need to get into terminal, simply kill your x server, by doing a BCKSP-CTRL-ALT command, (CTRL-ALT-F1 if not working) then login as root.
    into the folder/etc/X11 there should be a file called XF86Config... or XORG.CONFIG...

type
    Code:
    vi /etc/X11/xorg.config
    and go where the line HORIZ AND VERT
    and set the value I gave you...

If it doesnt work, you could also try CTRL-ALT- minuxKey to set to a lower resolution FROM GUI!!

post your screen Name and XORG.CONFIG here if it doesnt work...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

wow. u are way ahead of me. my picture is whats in the dictionary when u look up newbie. my Sn is kweliwontustay thanks a bunch man

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close