Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
And ran it to upgrade from Fedora 20 to 21. It downloaded 2292 packages and installed / updated 1934. This doesn't seem right to me although I haven't found anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

So I got fedup yesterday...

And ran it to upgrade from Fedora 20 to 21. It downloaded 2292 packages and installed / updated 1934. This doesn't seem right to me although I haven't found anything that isn't working so far.

Is there anyway to re-run fedup from Fedora 21?
    Should I just wait until I find something that doesn't work and do a reinstall at that time?
    Should I run yum distribution-synchronization?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

It sounds to me like it 'aint broke. And if it 'aint broke... well, you know what (not) to do.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Something about getting a hammer and a screw driver or adding more features?

Running yum distribution-synchronization downgraded 5 minor packages to the fc21 versions. Running yum list all | grep fc20 shows there are still some fc20 packages lying around, I still have to investigate whether they all have the fc21 version installed.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, not only did fedup fail to upgrade many packages, it also installed most if not all of Gnome without my permission and that is unforgivable. Doing things to my computer without asking me first makes the Fedora team no better than Microsoft or Apple in my opinion and that's a shame because it was a mighty fine distribution. The question now is what am I going to replace it with...

Considering

Linux Lite OS.
    MX 14.
    Sabayon which is way out of my comfort zone.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    I'm running Linux Lite on my main machine, very smooth & polished...

"Fed up" : (syn.) disgusted. Yeh -- the ways of this world do it to me, as well. I can empathize.

My humble suggestion is to go with a true-Debian distro like your tentative MX-14 or antiX or HandyLinux or even CrunchBang (warning-- lots of fanboys) and then explore the smxi script for post-install tweaks. Smxi only works with true-Debian distributions, so can't use with any 'buntu-derived distro but it simplifies things post-install.

-- sorry to hear about fedora, but it is a big brother world we live in nowadays (which may or may not be apropos); would a clean install instead of an upgrade have helped, I wonder?
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    I'm running Linux Lite on my main machine, very smooth & polished...
    Yeah I like Linux Lite a lot. I preferred Fedora but it's currently at the top of my list (again)

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    "Fed up" : (syn.) disgusted. Yeh -- the ways of this world do it to me, as well. I can empathize.

My humble suggestion is to go with a true-Debian distro like your tentative MX-14 or antiX or HandyLinux or even CrunchBang (warning-- lots of fanboys) and then explore the smxi script for post-install tweaks. Smxi only works with true-Debian distributions, so can't use with any 'buntu-derived distro but it simplifies things post-install.

-- sorry to hear about fedora, but it is a big brother world we live in nowadays (which may or may not be apropos); would a clean install instead of an upgrade have helped, I wonder?
    It probably would have but I thought I'd see if an upgrade would actually work this time. I suspect that some dependencies of a package I installed changed and I suddenly have gnome-desktop et al installed. I'm a grumpy sod at the best of times and if I'm getting an install of the travesty that is Gnome forced on me I'm going somewhere else I quite like #! but as with anything Debian Stable or even Testing based, the software is very old.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Inspired by your braveness... I decided to go up to 21 myself. Unfortunately I'm a coward (actually there are video issues on my system that I was worried about - I have an AMD A8 with build in graphics and the 3D stuff works with the distro's drivers, and I wasn't sure if that would continue in the new version, so I played it careful). I took a 1TB hard disk I had lying around and popped it into my machine and used the network install disk to set up a system.

It all took less than two hours from burn of cd to working system with my normal desktop.

Everything worked. With two exceptions...

1. The steam installer buggers up, you get some binaries installed in it's game directories that really shouldn't be there. I found a wee script that removed them though and that was working (an additional 2 hours to find)
    2. My DVB-T card didn't work out of the box - the first time since Fedora 17, I think. It's an RTL chpset, and now has its own package. (added 2 mins to my install time).

As my 'lightweight' system previously used 2.5inch HDDs, it's now noticeably quicker. This hard disk still has 850MB unallocated, I now just need to work out how to put Win7 on that without destroying my Fedora so I can play the new Assassins Creed (and Need for Speed 2 too, I suppose). Dammit, I wish that was available for a proper operating system through Steam.

So far, I haven't found anything but live images for Fedora 21. Where did you get the network install image?

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

It's a part of the 'Server' version. But once the installer is fired up, you can select the 'workstation' install from the list of layouts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast