Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Fedora Core 3. I have a USB 2.0 drive enclosure with an 80 gig drive inside that is formatted using NTFS. When I plug it in, fedora recognizes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NTFS drive in External USB Enclosure

I'm using Fedora Core 3. I have a USB 2.0 drive enclosure with an 80 gig drive inside that is formatted using NTFS. When I plug it in, fedora recognizes the drive fine but when I double-click it's icon to view the contents it tells me that the kernel does not have NTFS support. Is there a way that I can mount this drive? Also, is it true that NTFS volumes can only be mounted in read-only mode? I remember this from a while back when I was messing around with RedHat. I would like to be able to save stuff on it too if possible.

You need to install the NTFS Driver/Recompile your kernel to support NTFS R/W.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    You need to install the NTFS Driver/Recompile your kernel to support NTFS R/W.
    But keep in mind that NTFS R/W support is still rather shaky at this point. It could possibly hose some data.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    after reading some things about ntfs support in linux i decided to just reformat my external drive to FAT32 because ntfs support is "experimental". After formatting it to FAT32 I am able to read/write to the drive without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lobo235
    after reading some things about ntfs support in linux i decided to just reformat my external drive to FAT32 because ntfs support is "experimental". After formatting it to FAT32 I am able to read/write to the drive without a problem.
    You can also use ext2 and a program called Explore2fs to read/write it in Windows.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy