Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Frambuffer wrong format

Hello!

I am trying to setup Teamviewer on a headless CentOS server over SSH. When I run
    Code:
    teamviewer setup
    to set up unattended access (because I like GUI), I get the following error

"The framebuffer console seems to be unavailible or has the wrong format. Please make sure that /dev/fb0 is accessible and it is configured to 32-bit depth".

This is my first time running any form of Linux, and my first time running a server over ssh.

Thank you!

A quick visual check in /dev will show if you have fb0. For its properties, look in /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon. These are all text files; bits-per-pixel should be 32.

You might have to load the corresponding kernel module; I think it's called uvesafb.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Okay, so I navigated to /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fbcon
    The files I see are:
    -cursor_blink
    -power
    -rotate
    -rotate_all
    -subsystem
    -uevent

Is bits-per-pixel supposed to be its own file?
    I attempted to load the kernal you gave, but it gave me the following error:
    "FATAL: Module uvesafb not found."

Thank you for your response!

EDIT:
    subsystem seems to be a directory that houses fbcon. I found quite quickly that it's a never-ending rabbit hole of :
    cd subsystem
    cd fbcon
    cd subsystem
    cd fbcon
    And so on and so forth

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Oops! Sorry, I should have said fb0, not fbcon. fb0 is a directory (strictly speaking a link to a directory). Inside are text files containing all the properties of the framebuffer, if you've got one. If not, you'll have to load the appropriate module. I admit I was guessing the module name; I might have got it wrong.

There's an old HOWTO on framebuffers at Framebuffer HOWTO. It's a bit out of date now, so don't take it too seriously about things like module names, but it's a good introduction.
    Last edited by hazel; 12-22-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

fb0 does not exist in /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/. I also cannot seem to find the right module whilst searching online.

"The framebuffer console seems to be unavailible or has the wrong format. Please make sure that /dev/fb0 is accessible and it is configured to 32-bit depth".
    This is a long shot.

If you have /dev/fb0 from when you boot, then it's likely that it's the standard kernel module built into the kernel that has provided it. The error message says it's unavailable, or wrong format. Since fb0 is the standard one for linux, perhaps, it being unavailable it the problem. It's access modes on my f23 are:
    Code:
    [avek@fig ~]$ ll /dev/fb0
    crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 0 Dec 24 08:46 /dev/fb0
    Perhaps teamviewer needs more permissive modes to run. So as root, before you set up teamviewer, change to the most permissive:
    Code:
    chmod 777 /dev/fb0
    and see if teamviewer likes that. It you want to make that change to persist over boots you can create a udev rule for it, or run the command in rc.local. But, like I said, it's a long shot.

Hi, I'm having the same issue as the original poster.

I changed the permissions of /dev/fb0 to 777 but I am still receiving the same error. Do you know of any other methods I could try to solve this issue?

Thanks

Hello clayboy2, I have the same problem on Ubuntu-server-14.04.1, did you solve on your CentOS?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    How did you solved it??

-->
    I've have this problem with Mint 17.2 also.

I have a thought about this. How may people are running a proprietary(Nvidia / AMD) drivers?